POWER/STARTING ISSUES

2004 Nissan Sentra

eball42

June, 25, 2011 AT 3:38 PM

I have an '04 Nissan Sentra that has had a few issues since I bought it new. It has always had some difficulty with starting on the first turn of the key. Now it has gotten to the point of having to pump the gas repeatedly on the third or fourth crank to get it started. Once started, it will run fine until I drive fast enough for it to automatically shift to second gear. Then it makes a squeeky noise and you can feel it change gears. From there it will run ok until I try to have the air conditioner fan on the highest two settings, then it loses power going uphill. Where do I begin for all of these issues?

June, 25, 2011 AT 3:55 PM

How long since a tune-up? Use a gage and check fuel pressure, if problem with cold start-up. Any applicable trouble codes?

June, 25, 2011 AT 8:55 PM

To add on Check the coolant temperature sensor this is like your choke on a Carb that helps initial cold starts, also controls the transmission overdrve operation in a certain temperatures for engagement-Don't forget the fuel pressure check as suggested by JDL

An engine in need of tune-up will affect the transmission operations-

eball42

June, 28, 2011 AT 2:13 PM

Thank you for the advice. No there haven't been any trouble codes showing up yet. Where do I find a fuel pressure gauge?

June, 28, 2011 AT 2:18 PM

If your going to work on your own vehicle, a fuel pressure gage is a tool you need. The autostore sells them. Some national brand autostores used to loan out a fuel pressure gage.

Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Fuel Filter Change
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Filter Replacment BMW 525i