OIL PRESSURE GAUGE PEGGED

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer

Snowbilly13

March, 5, 2011 AT 11:34 PM

Today I replaced the oil sending unit on my 95 olds silhouette 3.8l engine. Since, my oil pressure gauge has been pegged at the top, whether driving, idling, parked or engine off. Is this a hazard to my vehicle?

caradiodoc

March, 5, 2011 AT 11:58 PM

That won't CAUSE a problem but it could be indicating a stuck or plugged pressure relief valve in the oil pump. Replace the sending unit with a temporary mechanical oil pressure gauge to see what you actually have for pressure. You could have the wrong sending unit too. Was the old one leaking?

Snowbilly13

March, 6, 2011 AT 1:14 AM

It was showing very low pressure reading. Quite often dipping down into the red for a while. For example, when driving at highway speed in high gear.

caradiodoc

March, 6, 2011 AT 1:21 AM

So it would appear the high reading just started with the new sending unit. That would suggest it's the wrong one or it is defective. I just recently figured out mine was stuck reading 3/4 scale for I don't know how many years. I noticed it didn't budge when when I stopped the engine and turned the ignition switch back on.

Your gauge should go down to low if you unplug the sending unit. If it does not, that wire is grounding out.

Snowbilly13

March, 6, 2011 AT 1:34 AM

Much appreciated advice. I will try in the morning.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Chrysler PT
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Tahoe
Oil and Filter Replacement BMW M5 2005-2010
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Acura TL
Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Oil Change & Filter Chevrolet Equinox
Engine Oil Change and Filter Toyota Corolla
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes