DISPLAY PANEL LIGHTS UP BUT CAR DOESNT CRANK.

1996 Mitsubishi Lancer

ryansookdeo

October, 2, 2012 AT 5:37 PM

Possible battery died but no other system was left on for an extended period to drain battery life

caradiodoc

October, 2, 2012 AT 5:50 PM

What's the question?

ryansookdeo

October, 2, 2012 AT 10:38 PM

I was experiencing no cranking on a couple of attempts prior to a trip and when it finally cranked, the idle was low. On a subsequent trip, I turned on the a/c for a brief period and about 10mins after, attempted to re- start and no cranking at all however the display panel and icons were alight as normal. I removed the battery and charged it and normal start. Im thinking the alternator?

caradiodoc

October, 3, 2012 AT 12:16 AM

Measure the battery voltage with the engine off and with it running. You should find 12.6 volts with the engine off. Closer to 12.0 volts means the battery is good but discharged. Around 11 volts means it has a shorted cell and must be replaced.

With the engine running you must have between 13.75 and 14.75 volts. If it is low the generator won't fully charge the battery. If it is acceptable or even a little high, have it professionally load-tested. If "ripple" is high and the most output current you can get is one third of the generator's rated output, suspect a defective internal diode. That can leave you with insufficient current to run all the electrical stuff on the car and it will slowly run the battery down.

Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Door Panel Removal & Speaker Replacement