CAR WON'T START AFTER GETTING GAS

• Darcey
  • 2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor
  • AWD
  • automatic

I have a 2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor. Recently, when I put gas in my car, no matter the amount or where I get gas, the car doesnt want to start. If I put my foot on the gas peddle, all the way to the floor and then start it, it starts fine. It runs fine otherwise, only when putting gas in do I have a problem.

Friday, August 12th, 2011 AT 7:46 PM

• caradiodoc

I can't remember the exact cause, but at a recent class I attended, they mentioned that problem with a lot of brands of cars. It has to do with over filling it and liquid fuel spilling into the vapor recovery system. They recommended stopping as soon as the gas pump shuts off automatically and don't try to squeeze in much more.

Friday, August 12th, 2011 AT 8:06 PM
  • Darcey

But its doing it no matter how much gas I put in, or what kind of gas I put in. I could put $20 in it and it does it every time.I am wondering if it has something to do with my evap sensor.

Friday, August 12th, 2011 AT 8:37 PM
  • caradiodoc

Not the sensor but the system could be involved. Try removing and reinstalling the gas cap and see if the problem occurs when you don't add any gas.

The next thing is to have the Engine Computer checked for any stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do that for you for free.

Friday, August 12th, 2011 AT 8:52 PM