2004 Mazda RX8 Rough idle when cold

HUMMERZDCA
  • 2004 MAZDA RX8

Hello, my RX8 idles (surges) rough when cold, but if I push in the clutch it stops, let it out, it starts again. After about 10 min. Warm, it doesn't do it any more. Trying to find some elec. Switch/circuit related to cold idle somewhere.

Tuesday, July 30th, 2013 AT 10:44 AM

KHLOW2008

Refer to chart for possible cause.

-1
Thursday, August 1st, 2013 AT 12:03 PM
HUMMERZDCA

Okay, thanks for the reply, but: it immediately stops if I press in the clutch, begins again when I let it out. Once the engine is warm it never does it again the rest of the day. It only happens when the engine is cold, once warm never again.

Thursday, August 1st, 2013 AT 12:44 PM
KHLOW2008

I have listed out the possibilities and you need to check through them.

-1
Friday, August 2nd, 2013 AT 7:33 AM
HUMMERZDCA

So, everything, and anything.

Friday, August 2nd, 2013 AT 10:41 AM
KHLOW2008

You start with one nd move on to the next if it is not the cause. Start with the easiest to work with.

-1
Saturday, August 3rd, 2013 AT 11:21 PM
AIRMAN07
  • 2007 MAZDA RX8
  • MERGED

07 rx8, engine light flashing, left work, idle rough and wont stay running at idle by itself. Cat. Converter glowing red, pipe was clogged from Catalytic interior busted up, oxygen sensor melted. Had diag, run on it while I kept it running"#2 missing and running lean". I Gutted converter, Replaced all plugs, 2 coils had white burn mark circles, replaced those. Car starts better, smooth at high rpm. Still won't idle on its own, rough idle, white to bluish exahaust, "guess from being gutted, didnt do it before, expected"Eng light still flashing. Going to put new caty on it. Am I missing anything else? And for ref, What is fireing order on coils and eng block? Coils front to rear and block, Trailing plugs front to rear and Leading plugs front to rear. Please help! Wifes car, very expensive, have to do myself, hard cause im disabled. Right leg. Im new to rotor eng, but eaiser for me to work on. Again, wht am I missing. And Thank you for any info! Not sure of catagories.

Wednesday, March 29th, 2017 AT 2:58 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

Here are the diagrams for the firing order.

When misfiring occurs, the cat converter would glow red while engine is running due to excessive fuel getting to it and it is being overworked.

What was the EXACT trouble codes retrieved for the CEL indicating before gutting the cat converter?

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Wednesday, March 29th, 2017 AT 2:58 PM