RECENTLY THE CAR HAS INTERMITTENTLY STOPPED ...

2004 Kia Optima

tomnonmacher

Recently the car has intermittently stopped starting. Also, when it runs the power will fade. The power fading had occurred in the past about 8 months ago and I replaced the battery (cell tested bad) as well as having the alternator tested (tested good). This seemed to resolve the problem. However the power fading returned when the intermittent start problem started. The symptoms I have with the starting are unusual, when the vehicle doesn’t start I hear nothing, not cranking - started -. - If I come back to the vehicle (anytime later) the vehicle will start right up. Sometimes it will take hours before it starts and other times it could start in minutes. This occurs if the engine is hot or cold. Any advise on where to “start” would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

hmac300

Check starter relay in underhood fuse box. And check battery connections for being clean then scan for codes and check fuel pressure.

tomnonmacher

Battery connections are good (replace) and no corrosion. No Codes, no other lights. The engine does not crank when problem occurs, could that be caused by fuel pump? If so, should I be able to hear the fuel pump? As for the starter relay, do you think that could that be causing the power issue as well?
Thanks -

hmac300

It cold be teh relay or not in park so not letting nuetral switch activate as well as starter, starter solenoid, ignition swith. If it won't start and you odnt' h ear a alclick then it may be anything electrical. It's best to have apro check this to not buy unecessary aprts.

tomnonmacher

Good advise - will let you know what I find after this weekend. Thanks -
Oh - "teh relay"?

Thanks - again

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang