No spark

HEADERHWY
  • 2004 HYUNDAI TIBURON
Vehicle cranks but will not start. No spark and plugs are dry. Replaced defective crank sensor (cracked insulation and bare wires touching), replaced coils, and replaced ECM. No results. Checked all fuses for ECU, sensor and ignition. Measured power supply to coils and crank sensor. No error codes stored in original ECU. This car is the Canadian model equipped with a coded key and immobilizer anti-theft system. Could this be the source of the problem, and how could that be tested? Does the installation of another ECU (same part# as original) require reprogramming to recognize the coded ignition key?
Friday, August 2nd, 2013 AT 4:55 AM

If the security light is not flashing it sounds like you have an engine control relay that is not working.

Here is a guide to help you test the relay

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Here is the engine relay location and fuse panel identification. Also I have included the engine wiring diagrams so you can see how the system works.

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.

Cheers
Friday, August 2nd, 2013 AT 7:00 AM
HEADERHWY
Original issue was no spark. Did not test fuel pressure, but can hear the fuel pump activate when ignition key turned on. I scanned for codes before replacing any components - no codes. Is the ECU like a person. Can it tell you if it is sick (error codes) and can it tell you if it is dead ie. No error code displayed, but unit defective?
Saturday, August 3rd, 2013 AT 6:37 AM
If there were any codes they were in the old pcm, was your new pcm programmed to your car or did you just install it?
Saturday, August 3rd, 2013 AT 7:41 AM
HEADERHWY
No error code displayed, so I checked the relay like you suggested I wish I did that before would have saved myself a lot of heart ache. Its all fixed, thanks for your help I love this site.
Sunday, August 4th, 2013 AT 8:05 PM
Use 2CarPros anytime, we are here to help. Please tell a friend.

Cheers
Monday, August 5th, 2013 AT 6:18 AM