I HAVE A GLS THAT WILL NOT START.

2004 Hyundai Elantra

Atsvox523

October, 22, 2011 AT 11:09 PM

I got a code for the Cam sensor. I checked the voltage and the ohms and the sensor seems to be operating fine. I then had someone suggest that thetiming could be messed up. I took the cylinder head cover off, and noticed that there was a plastic piece of something in between the cam gear and timing chain. (This model is the DOHC with a timing belt to the crank, and a chain between both cams) I fished the plastic piece out, and I cannot figure out what it is. The car will crank sometimes, but only run for about 5-10 seconds before shutting off. I thought the plastic piece may be a guide of some sorts, but the only information on timing guides I can find if for the belt, not the chain. Any ideas?

October, 26, 2011 AT 7:50 AM

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs,coil's resistances,cap and rotor,distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang