Serpentine belt bypass

BUGBUGTOO
  • 2004 FORD TAURUS
I have a Taurus that the air conditioner has seized up and would like to know if it can be bypassed and if there is a diagram. We have been told it is not possible and if you have info it would be appreciated. The air quit working and the fuse for the idle needed to be replaced each time you started the car. We changed the belt and when we tried to use it the belt overheated and broke.
Wednesday, August 27th, 2014 AT 12:42 PM

WRENCHTECH
Looking at the belt diagram, it may be possible to use a shorter belt as long as the new trajectory will not cause the belt to rub on anything and looking at the engine is to only way to find that out.
+2
Friday, August 29th, 2014 AT 2:04 AM
PHILBARNES
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS
My AC pulley has seized and I can't afford to replace it. Is there any way to bypass the AC with a shorter belt?
+1
Wednesday, December 4th, 2019 AT 1:57 PM (Merged)
BMRFIXIT
You can use a shorter belt if you might need to do some trail and error on the belt size her is a link that shows the belt routing to help you see how to do it

https://www.2carpros.com/diagrams/ford/taurus/2002

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-serpentine-belt

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers
-1
PHILBARNES
So the only way for me to get my car back on the road is to repair the (very expensive) A/C? Who's the engineer who thought that was a good idea?
+2
MICHIGANIAN IN ALABAMA
I experienced a similar AC problem last May. The mechanic advised to do exactly what you describe - bypass the AC with a shorter belt. We did it and it worked fine until such time as I could actually get the AC fixed. I was halfway to Pennsylvania from Alabama and HAD to continue my trip. This AC bypass saved my trip and cost under $200. Sorry I didn't read your question until 10/11/2008.
+4
LISAMASON
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
I believe the AC compressor has locked up. While I was driving the car lost power and started smoking. When I raised the hood the serpentine belt had broken. Can I bypass the compressor without removing it?
RYAN
Yes you can by using this serpentine belt.

http://www.autozone.com/cooling-heating-and-climate-control/belt/duralast-serpentine-belt/579126_0_23387/

The belt designation is 822K6. Just route it like you normally would but do not include the AC Compressor.
+1
WRENCHTECH
You never stated which engine you have. That shorter belt bypass may work on the 3.0 OHV (U) motor but it will not work on the DOHC (S) motor.
The shorted belt will not clear the tensioner pulley.

https://www.2carpros.com/images/external/101480262.gif
+3
LISAMASON
Thank you and I have the OHV motor
RYAN
I am so happy we could help you out! If you have any other questions come on back. We are always ready to help you!
NEKIA MOTON
I have the same problem except I tried the shorter belt and, it rubs up against the AC compressor pulley, and I was told I could put a bracket there to use the normal size serpentine built, any thoughts?
LISAMASON
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
Just put a bypass pulley on my car hooked everything back up and now car wont start. I noticed my coolant reservoir had a crack in it and was leaking. Would that stop it from starting?
WRENCHTECH
Are you sure you plugged the crank sensor back in? I think it may be behind the compressor in that one.
DANNY L
Hello, I'm Danny.

Yes, they do make a dummy pulley to put in place of the a/c compressor to use the same original belt.Please start a new question and provide your vehicles information.Here is the link:

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/new

Thanks for using 2CarPros.
LISAMASON
I took the compressor out and replaced it with a bypass pulley.
WRENCHTECH
I am aware of that.
LISAMASON
Oh sorry, I will check to see if the sensor is plugged in. Thank you.
KEN
Please let us know what you find so it will help others.

Best, Ken
ALFREDOVILLANUEVA
  • 2000 FORD TAURUS
The car is in mexico power steering belt went out because of ac compressor can we buy a belt to bypass the compressor
ROBERTDEBEAUX
I have had this problem. There is a jig to replace the compressor. The 2000 model was designed to have the compressor present.
Here are your options.

It is not your compressor that failed, it is the compresor clutch bearing. I changed mine just the other day. I tried buying the bearing online, but that did not work. O'Rielleys had it for about $35. You need to remove the compressor (easietst way) remove the clutch (you will need a strap wrench or really big pipe wrench), then you will need a pair of snap ring pliers (expanding) then your will have exposed the bearing.
Use a pulley puller to remove the bearing from the shaft, then press the bearing out of the pulley.
Reverse the process to install. The bearing costs about $35, compared to the 300 for the compressor. If you have a shop do it, you can tack on the labor, easily raising the cost to over $800.

Once the new bearing is installed, have a shop charge your system properly, about $120. I did it myself, by purchasing a kit for $50.

Good luck.