Transmission stuck in park

KEITHSCHOENFELDT
  • 2004 FORD TAURUS
My car will not shift out of park, level ground brake pedal depressed, car in good shape. Front wheel drive. I am thinking a locking pin.
Tuesday, October 2nd, 2012 AT 1:44 AM

It sounds like the brake light switch is not working or you have a fuse #27 or #17 out. Here is the fuse locations and the shift interlock wiring diagrams so you can see how the system works:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

Check out the diagrams (below). Please run this test and get back to us.

Cheers
Tuesday, October 2nd, 2012 AT 2:49 AM
LVZNLO
Yep, I had this problem I had to replace the brake light switch cost be $38.00 all fixed! I love this site.
Monday, September 24th, 2018 AT 1:43 PM
MISCARSON09
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
I was driving on the highway and my car begin to slow down. I pulled over and turned the car off and back on begin to put it in drive and the engine is running but car will not move in either drive neutral or reverse. I have tried putting it in the lowest gear and nothing. I called a tow and I noticed it is leaking fluid but I am not sure to where or what it is. I just had an oil check three weeks ago so I am assuming my fluids are good. I also have notice a trans-axle light has popped on the dashboard. My brake lights are working everything works fine just the car is like stuck in park. I am confused on to which it is. Just like anyone else it was random and I cannot afford a new car at this point. Please an advice helps.
Monday, September 24th, 2018 AT 1:45 PM (Merged)
RACEFAN966
What color is the fluid leaking? Did you check the transmission fluid to see if it is full or not? Let me know and we will go from there, okay.
MISCARSON09
I just had a oil change about three weeks ago and they said my transmission fluid was full, but the last time I checked it it was dark and had a smell, but not really a bad smell.
MISCARSON09
I am not sure to which fluid is leaking it does not show any color or smell.
RACEFAN966
I am thinking its red and is transmission fluid so the transmission is low therefore it cannot go into gear, you put it in drive and there is not enough fluid to make things work as they should.
MISCARSON09
Well, yesterday after work I turned the car on and it still runs and acts like it is being told it is in park because when I try to put it in gear it just stays in park. I looked under the car and nothing is leaking anymore and nothing was on the ground. I checked the transmission fluid and it was a little dark and smelled a little burnt.
VHMIMI
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS
Six cylinder front wheel drive automatic.

I was trying to go from park when all of a sudden my gear shift went to freely down in gear and I was stuck in park. I even had trouble getting it far enough in park to get my key out. A man lifted the hood and manually pushed something and got it in drive so I could get my car home. What do you think could be the problem?
RENAUDTN
If you can move freely your gear shift but the car does not actually shift, you may have a broken gear shift cable.
RACEFAN966
Was it full? I am sure it is not stuck in park it is either low or the transmission is bad. If you would have some one else put it through the gears and see if the cable is working and moving.
PETER WARK
  • 2002 FORD TAURUSFORD TAURUS
My car has 54,000 miles. I drove the car this morning and all was fine, just went to move it off the street and I cannot get it out of park. It starts fine, no visible linkage issues. Help!
Thanks, Pete
HEAVYDUTY
Do your brake lights work? Possible blown fuse not retracting the park lock pin.
BUBBA_KOSKI
The shift cable probably came loose from socket upon start-up, or else if it came loose before, then your car cannot start, but put on the ball-socket, and give her a whirl.
LONNIE92071
  • 2002 FORD TAURUSFORD TAURUSFORD TAURUS
I have a 1994 Ford Taurus GL 190,000 miles with the floor mounted shift (console) automatic transmission. You cannot shift out of park in the "run" position, only in "Start" and "Acc" We replaced the key lock cylinder last year. This problem just started today with no warning signs at all. I suspect the park interlock cable but can find absolutely no information on this. Any help would be great.
TAURUSWHEEL
Might be the circuit, the stoplight switch itself, the shift-lock relay, and, or solenoid, all the fuses are good? Possibly the interlock cable is loose? The suddenness of the issue may more then likely point to electrical? Unless the cable broke without any earlier signs of issues with it.
RAY.ADKINS
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
Will not go into gear it is stuck in park and will not shift. The transmission shifts fine. This problem has been going on for a couple of days but would correct when the car warms up. Today it will not work at all.
MERLIN2021
Fuse No. 17 (15-amp) or fuse No. 32 (10-amp).
Ignition/shifter interlock cable.
Brake Pedal Position (BPP) switch connections.
Wiring harness.
Shift interlock actuator.
Diagnostic Procedure:

1. Apply the brake pedal and view the brake-lights. Do the brake-lights illuminate? If so, go to step
7. If not, go to next step.
2. Measure resistance in fuse No. 17 (15-amp). Is the resistance of the fuse 5 ohms or less? If so,
go to step 4. If not, go to next step.
3. Ensure ignition switch is in OFF position. Disconnect Brake Pedal Position (BPP) switch
harness connector. Measure the resistance in Light Green/Red wire between BPP switch
harness connector and ground. Is the resistance less than 10 k/ohms? If so, repair short to
ground in Light Green/Red wire and test the system for normal operation. If not, go to next
step.
4. Measure the resistance in Light Green/Red wire between output side of fuse No. 17 and BPP
switch harness connector. Is the resistance less than 5 ohms? If so, go to next step. If not, repair
open in Light Green/Red wire and test the system for normal operation.
5. Measure the resistance between BPP switch terminals No. 1 and 2 (component side), while
open (OFF) and closed (ON). Is the resistance of the switch greater than 10 k/ohms while OFF,
and 5 ohms or less while ON? If so, go to next step. If not, replace BPP switch and test the
system for normal operation. See BRAKE PEDAL POSITION SWITCH under REMOVAL
& INSTALLATION.
6. Disconnect shift interlock actuator harness connector. Measure the resistance in Red/Light
Green wire between shift interlock actuator harness connector and ground. See Fig. 16. Is the
resistance less than 10 k/ohms? If so, repair short to ground in Red/Light Green wire and test
the system for normal operation. If not, go to next step.
7. Measure the resistance in Red/Light Green wire between shift interlock actuator harness
connector and BPP switch harness connector. Is the resistance less than 5 ohms? If so, go to
next step. If not, repair open in Red/Light Green wire and test the system for normal operation.
8. Measure the voltage in Orange wire between shift interlock actuator harness connector and
ground. See Fig. 18. Does battery voltage exist? If so, go to step 12. If not, go to next step.
9. Turn ignition switch to OFF position. Measure resistance in fuse No. 32 (10-amp). Is the
resistance less than 5 ohms? If so, go to step 11. If not, go to next step.
10. Measure the resistance in Orange wire between shift interlock actuator harness connector
terminal No. 3 and ground. See Fig. 19. Is resistance less than 10 k/ohms? If so, repair short to
ground in Orange wire and test the system for normal operation. If not, go to next step.
11. Measure the resistance in Orange wire between output side of fuse No. 32 (10-amp) and shift
interlock actuator harness connector terminal No. 3. See Fig. 61. Is the resistance less than 5
ohms? If so, go to next step. If not, repair open in Orange wire and test the system for normal
operation.
12. Measure the resistance in Black wire between shift interlock actuator harness connector
terminal No. 2 and ground. See Fig. 12. Is the resistance less than 5 ohms? If so, replace shift
interlock actuator and test the system for normal operation. See SHIFT INTERLOCK
ACTUATOR under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION. If not, repair open in Black wire and
test the system for normal operation.
Check the brake lights if it is coming on-if okay have the shift interlock control system checked. Could be the shift-lock control solenoid acting up.
+1
BOSCO20
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS

I came home to check my mail, and stopped the car. When I went to start it again, it started with no problem, but the gear shift would not move. Additionally, the windows, door locks and radio will not work. Also, when I pushed the hazard button, the high beam light and the airbag light come on.

I cannot figure what is going on! Can somebody help?