CIGARETTE LIGHTER

• ZOSO4G
  • 2004 Ford F-250

My power point works but my cigarette lighter does not.I plugged in a power converter into my POWER POINT to see if it would charge dewalt batteries.(Mistake)The fuse diagram shows #20 as the cigarette fuse but there is no fuse in this spot. The crazy thing is the power point works but the cigarette lighter does not now. I assume they are in series.

Tuesday, March 8th, 2011 AT 11:50 AM

• Wrenchtech

No, you can't assume that. Every power point is powered by a separate fuse. The lighter is power by fuse #

Tuesday, March 8th, 2011 AT 12:45 PM
  • Wrenchtech

That posted before I was ready. Check fuse #F2.12 ((20amp)

Tuesday, March 8th, 2011 AT 12:46 PM
  • ZOSO4G

Wrenchtech, I posted the incorrect fuse # that I checked. In my owners manual it does indeed designate #12 as the correct cigarette lighter fuse. I did check this the other day. I have looked online and it seems that 20 amp is the general thought I pulled all 20 amp fuses and inspected. All good. I am obviously trying to avoid tearing into the dash panel but any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am above average at mechanical but below average at electrical. This question seems to be all over the net with no absolute answer.

Thanks,
Mike

Tuesday, March 8th, 2011 AT 3:17 PM
  • Wrenchtech

This is not rocket science. It's a blown fuse. The way you check fuses is using a test light and test both ends of the fuse while it's in the socket looking for power at both ends. There is an access hole at each end to probe for power. ALL fuses should be checked at the same time. Some will show no power and that's OK as long as it's the same at both ends.

Tuesday, March 8th, 2011 AT 3:25 PM
  • ZOSO4G

Ok, Now I have traced. Did voltage tests ect. Have removed the lighter and I find that due to the original issue of hooking up the converter that I must have melted something inside the cigarette lighter. If I unhook it from its wiring harness and put a fuse in I am fine but as soon as I hook up the lighter socket to the harness it blows the fuse every time. Do you agree wrenchtech?

Tuesday, March 8th, 2011 AT 5:48 PM
  • Wrenchtech

Yep, sounds like the socket is shorted out. Leave it disconnected until you can replace it.

Tuesday, March 8th, 2011 AT 5:51 PM
  • ZOSO4G

Wrenchtech. Thanks for your reply on this issue. I think im on the right track. Just got to locate a socket.

Tuesday, March 8th, 2011 AT 8:47 PM
  • Wrenchtech

It's a cheap item from the dealer.

Tuesday, March 8th, 2011 AT 9:19 PM