I HAVE A FORD F150 4

2004 Ford F-150

joey_37748

November, 3, 2012 AT 8:50 PM

I have a Ford F-150 4.6 V8. The RPMs has started to surge up and down while driving at a constant speed. If I take it out of overdrive it doesn't surge. It starts fine and no missing. Changed the fuel filter today. No change. I have a K& N air filter. I also cleaned it with their kit. No change.

hmac300

November, 3, 2012 AT 8:56 PM

Check fuel pressure and scan for codes. Clean throttle plate on both sides with choke cleaner as well as iac hold if you have one.

joey_37748

November, 18, 2012 AT 11:22 PM

I took the truck to the ford dealer. They hooked it up and no codes came up. They couldn't find the problem.
I changed out the fuel pump module above the spare tire. This did not help. I drove it a couple miles and the engine died when I pulled into a parking lot. It started right up and I drove it home. It died when I pulled into the driveway. It will restart, but while idling, the rpms will raise and drop by 100-200 rpms. It used to ony surge when I was driving in overdrive at a constant spead.

I haven't tryed cleaning the throttle plate yet, but plan on it over the holidays.

hmac300

November, 18, 2012 AT 11:47 PM

K& n filters can cause problems if they are oied to much so make its not

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Clean Idle Air Control Ford Super Duty 5.4L
Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro