LOW POWER

2004 Ford Escape

leodajim

December, 4, 2010 AT 9:58 PM

I have recently noticed a lack of power when I try to accelerate, along with a blowing noise, like a 'shhhhhh.'. This noise is only heard when I push the gas pedal.
When I started the engine cold, I looked under the hood and under the vehicle for a leak somewhere, and I could see exhaust steam coming from under the engine. I am assuming there is an exhaust leak at or right around the manifold area. Am I correct to assume this is where I am losing power due to lost compression, and where I am hearing the loud 'whooshing' sound when I push on the gas? It seems the sound is right behind my dash/firewall, so that would put it right at the manifold area.

BMRFIXIT

December, 4, 2010 AT 10:03 PM

Do you have a check engine light on
and if so check for code s
Suspect exhaust flex pipe
check with your local exhaust repair shop

leodajim

December, 4, 2010 AT 10:04 PM

Thats the wierd part, no light.

leodajim

December, 4, 2010 AT 10:05 PM

Any ballpark on what repair costs for something like that would be?

BMRFIXIT

December, 4, 2010 AT 10:08 PM

If it is the flex pipe to cut and replace would be around $160

leodajim

December, 4, 2010 AT 10:10 PM

Where would I look for the flex pipe? Does it come right out of the manifold?

BMRFIXIT

December, 4, 2010 AT 10:17 PM

Flex pipe

mcsgarage

December, 5, 2010 AT 1:51 AM

I have your sollution for you! U said u have a hissing noise? Low power?
Clogged converter! Run the vehicle, get it hot, you wont have any exhaust pressure, if u step on the gas, no increased exhaust presure, at the tail pipe. You might get under the car and feel air rushing out from the flange connecting to the the converter pipe and also it will be extreamly hot.

leodajim

December, 8, 2010 AT 9:09 PM

Well, I'm thinking you are correct. On my way to the exhaust repair shop yesterday, I hear a sudden louder rush of air under the hood. Turns out the EGR valve had a hole in it, where the metal literally 'popped'. So I replaced the valve, and the associated solenoid, and now I am back to the original problem, of low power and a 'hissing' noise whenever I step on the gas. I am going to have a back pressure test done. Did the EGR valve pop because of the pressure from the clogged converter?

BMRFIXIT

December, 8, 2010 AT 11:00 PM

VERY POSSIBLE

NEXT SHOULD catalytic converter AND EXHAUST SYSTEM back pressure test

Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe