BRAKES WILL NOT BUILD PRESSURE

2004 Dodge Intrepid

jjj9170

September, 12, 2011 AT 12:45 AM

I replaced the front pad and rotors on the vehicle, and since then I have not been able to build any pressure in the system. I visually inspected the rear calipers as well, bled the system a few times with a brake attachment on a manual pump. Still no pressure in the system. I replaced the master cylinder, re-bled the system a few times, and I still have no pressure on the brake pedel, and it goes right to the floor.

September, 12, 2011 AT 12:51 AM

You need to re check your work on the front. Did the bolts holding the caliper go in ok? No crossthreading? If they are, it will tilt the wheel and no pedal.

September, 12, 2011 AT 1:10 AM

MAYBE THE HAND PUMP, JUST AIN'T THE WAY TO DO IT

I NEVER HAD GOOD RESULTS, THE PROMISED "ONE MAN WAY"

WHAT ABOUT THE OLD FASHION WAY, TOWARDS THE BOTTOM OF THIS LINK

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1999-ford-f-150-brakes--3

jjj9170

September, 12, 2011 AT 2:31 PM

Thanks for the responses. However, the front caliper bolts are not crossthreaded, and as far as the bleeding, I did it both ways. With the hand pump, as well as using an assistant, and doing it the old fashion way of having the assistant build pressure, and hold the pedal as I released the fluid and tightened up the bleeder screw. This was done many times on each wheel. I have clear fluid all the way through the system at this point.

Also, while bleeding the system up on stands, I could get some pressure to build up in the pedal, however as soon as I put the car back on the floor, and got into it, the pedal would go back to the floor with no pressure at all. This happened a few times.

September, 12, 2011 AT 2:52 PM

Try to clamp off each wheel one at a times to rule out a caliper or wheel cylinder. Clamp off the brake hose on each wheel. If there is still no pedal, then you may have a bad new master.
Be carfull clamping off the hoses. There are plastic clamps that will not damage the inside of the hose.

jjj9170

September, 13, 2011 AT 12:53 PM

Thank you for the help. It pointed me in the right direction. One of the calipers was not sitting properly on the mounting bracket causing it to bind up rather than slide. I removed the caliper, lined it up properly, and now I have great pressure in the brakes. Glad I actaully screwed up, and ended up replacing the master cylinder. There were signs of leaking on the back of it.

Anyways, thanks for the advice.

Wrenchtech

September, 13, 2011 AT 1:31 PM

Did you ever have the calipers completely off the car? If so go look and see if the bleeder screw is above or below the inlet hose.

Wrenchtech

September, 13, 2011 AT 1:33 PM

Disregard my post. I didn't see you had it resolved.

Brake Master Cylinder Replacement Like a Pro
Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front