Removal shock assembly:
1. Roll back carpeting on top of the rear shock tower to access shock mounting nuts.
2. Remove plastic cover from the top of the shock assembly.
3. Remove 2 nuts attaching the shock assembly upper mount/spring seat to the shock tower.
4. Raise vehicle on jackstands or centered on a frame contact type hoist.
5. Remove the rear wheel and tire assembly from the vehicle.
6. Remove two fasteners holding the splash shield to the shock assembly upper mount.
7. Remove bolt attaching shock absorber to rear knuckle
Fig. 18: Removing Shock Absorber Attachment To Knuckle
8. Remove the shock absorber from the rear knuckle first when removing the shock absorber
from vehicle by pushing down on the rear suspension.
9. Move shock assembly downward and tilt top of shock outward, then remove shock assembly
from vehicle through top of wheel opening.
NOTE: Access for the nuts attaching the rear shock assembly upper mount to
the vehicle is through the inside of the trunk.
WARNING: DO NOT REMOVE THE SHOCK ROD NUT BEFORE THE COIL SPRING IS COMPRESSED. THE COIL SPRING IS HELD UNDER PRESSURE AND MUST BE COMPRESSED, REMOVING SPRING TENSION FROM THE UPPER MOUNTING BRACKET BEFORE THE ROD NUT IS REMOVED.
(Check out the images below)
Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
Images (Click to enlarge)
Sunday, January 23rd, 2011 AT 8:27 PM