04 TRAILBLAZER - FAN WON'T SHUT OFF

• loridemann
  • 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer
  • automatic

The AC/Heater fan won't shut off after vehicle is shut off, 2004 chevy trailblazer, any ideas on what is wrong? We had to disconnect the battery to get the fan to stop running.

Saturday, July 30th, 2011 AT 4:38 AM

• rasmataz

Check and test the blower motor relay

Saturday, July 30th, 2011 AT 10:57 AM
  • loridemann

Where is this located and how do you test it? Please advise, my husband is out looking at it right now and he's no mechanic, but has replaced a few minor things on the truck, is this something major or could a novice do it?

Saturday, July 30th, 2011 AT 4:08 PM
  • cadieman

The power module is in the under hood a/c case. This needs to be replaced

Saturday, July 30th, 2011 AT 4:16 PM
  • loridemann

Hi! You mean the power module needs to be replaced or the blower motor relay? (See previous post by rasmataz) Please advise and thank-you!

Saturday, July 30th, 2011 AT 4:28 PM
  • cadieman

If you disconnect the power module the fan will stop.U need a power module.I see them on line for 75 dollars.

Saturday, July 30th, 2011 AT 5:46 PM
  • loridemann

Hi! We just came from O'Reillys Auto parts and they said it is the Blower Motor Resistor in which we had replaced about 5 years ago and it is bad again, it seems. Can you tell me how to get info on replacing it? My husband will do it, watched the other mechanic do it the first time but can't remember how he got to the part to replace it? Ie. Through the dash, but is it the glove box area or driver's side. How do you get to the part?

Saturday, July 30th, 2011 AT 7:35 PM
  • rasmataz

Blower Motor Resistor Assembly Below right side of dash, near blower motor-sorry no picture

Saturday, July 30th, 2011 AT 8:36 PM
  • loridemann

Thanks guys, it's done and it works. Any ideas of why we go through these so often though? Replaced very same part less than 3 years ago and this part was heat damaged. You could smell the burnt smell on the actual old part after we removed it. Man, you guys are awesome!

Saturday, July 30th, 2011 AT 9:00 PM
  • rasmataz

You're welcome, Its probably due to an overload or just not made right

Saturday, July 30th, 2011 AT 9:07 PM