My brake Flex hose is worn I need to replace it

04TAHOEGRL
  • 2004 CHEVROLET TAHOE
We went to change the brakes on my 2004 Chevy Tahoe and noticed that there are cracks in the front brake flex hoses.
Saturday, December 4th, 2010 AT 1:35 AM

Hi,

Replacing these are not too hard. The worst thing is getting them to come loose without damage to the steel brake hose on the one end. Just take your time and I would recommend spraying the attachment points with a good penetrating fluid.

Here are the directions for replacement. The pics below correlate with the directions.

____________________________________

2004 Chevy Truck Tahoe 4WD V8-5.3L VIN T
Brake Hose Replacement - Front
Vehicle Brakes and Traction Control Hydraulic System Brake Hose/Line Service and Repair Procedures Brake Hose Replacement - Front
BRAKE HOSE REPLACEMENT - FRONT
Brake Hose Replacement - Front

Removal Procedure

Caution: Refer to Brake Fluid Irritant in Service Precautions.

Notice: Refer to Brake Fluid Effects on Paint and Electrical Components in Service Precautions.

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
2. Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
3. Clean all dirt and foreign material from the brake hose end and brake pipe fitting.

Important: Install a rubber cap or plug to the exposed brake pipe fitting end in order to prevent brake fluid loss and contamination.

Pic 1

4. Use a backup wrench on the brake hose fitting end (2), disconnect the brake pipe fitting end (1) from the brake hose (2), then cap or plug the brake pipe fitting end.
5. Remove the brake hose retaining clip (3) from the brake hose mounting bracket.

Pic 2

6. Remove the brake hose bracket bolt from the upper control arm.
7. Remove the brake hose bracket bolt from the steering knuckle.

Pic 3

8. Remove the brake hose to caliper bolt from the brake caliper.
9. Remove and discard the 2 copper brake hose gaskets. These gaskets may be stuck to the brake caliper housing or the brake hose end.

Installation Procedure

Important: Install 2 new copper brake hose gaskets.

Pic 4

1. Assemble the 2 new copper brake hose gaskets and the brake hose bolt to the brake hose.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

2. Install the brake hose to caliper bolt and 2 new washers to the brake caliper.
Tighten the bolt to 40 Nm (30 ft. Lbs.).

Pic 5

Important: The brake hose must not be twisted. Make sure the brake hose is not in contact with any suspension component.

3. Install the brake hose bracket bolt and the bracket to the steering knuckle.
Tighten the bolt to 9 Nm (80 inch lbs.).
4. Install the brake hose bracket bolt and the bracket to the upper control arm.

Pic 6

5. Install the brake hose into the brake hose bracket.
6. Install the brake hose retaining clip (3).
7. Remove the rubber cap or plug from the brake pipe fitting end.
8. Connect the brake pipe fitting end (1) to the brake hose (2):
Use a backup wrench on the brake hose fitting end (2).
Do not bend the mounting bracket or the brake pipe.
Tighten the brake pipe fitting end (1) to 25 Nm (18 ft. Lbs.).

9. Bleed the hydraulic brake system. Refer to in Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding (Manual) or Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding (Pressure).
10. Install the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.

Important: Ensure that the brake hose does not make contact with any part of the suspension or the tire/wheel assembly. Inspect the brake hose in extreme right and left turn conditions. If the brake hose makes contact remove the brake hose and correct the condition.

11. Lower the vehicle.

_________________________

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

Take care and God Bless,

Friday, March 12th, 2021 AT 11:08 PM

Sponsored links