2004 Chevrolet Malibu Heat/AC fan

JSTOL
  • 2004 CHEVROLET MALIBU
Ok a few months ago a piece of my ventilation came off and lodged itself in my Heat/AC blower motor(the fan). So I removed it but now my fan will not turn on at all. No heat and no air conditioning no matter what I set it to. I have replaced the fan itself as well as the BWD HVAC Blower Motor Resistor. And still the fan will not turn on at all. As I change the settings to blow through the various vents I can hear the motor change positions but still no fan. Any clue what I am missing? I checked the fuses as well.
Tuesday, September 17th, 2013 AT 1:32 PM

SATURNTECH9
So you can hear the fan spinning blowing air and ramping up in speed but no airflow out of the vents?Also do you have auto climate control or manual ac?
Tuesday, September 17th, 2013 AT 1:47 PM
JSTOL
No the fan is not moving at all or on any speed or setting. I'm guessing I have auto climate control.
Tuesday, September 17th, 2013 AT 2:03 PM
SATURNTECH9
I really need to know if you have auto climate control or not?Do you dial in the temp number you want or do you blend the temp with your temp control?
Tuesday, September 17th, 2013 AT 2:14 PM
JSTOL
Well. OK like I said before I'm guessing its auto. But I have a knob on the left side of my panel for the fan that I can turn down for auto(it says auto) or I can turn it clockwise to turn it on the more right the faster the fan spins. Nothing happens when I turn the dial or if I put it on auto.
Tuesday, September 17th, 2013 AT 2:31 PM
SATURNTECH9
Is there a screen in between the two knobs with a up and down button to change the temp bellow the screen?
Tuesday, September 17th, 2013 AT 3:26 PM
JSTOL
Yes there is.
Tuesday, September 17th, 2013 AT 3:30 PM
SATURNTECH9
Do you have a test light to do some testing?Or better yet a multi meter?You will really need a multi meter to do some testing. You have a auto climate control by the way.
Tuesday, September 17th, 2013 AT 3:45 PM
JSTOL
Well I have a test light and I can get a multi meter. Not sure how good it is and Im not sure what to test?
Tuesday, September 17th, 2013 AT 5:02 PM
SATURNTECH9
Unplug the blower motor the Turn the blower fan to the highest fan setting then see if the test light lights up bright across the two terminals at the blower motor connector. Next steps will need the multi meter.
Tuesday, September 17th, 2013 AT 6:23 PM
JSTOL
Ok. I'll test it tomorrow and let you know. I'll see if I can borrow the multi meter as well.
Tuesday, September 17th, 2013 AT 6:28 PM
SATURNTECH9
Sounds good let me know what you find.
Tuesday, September 17th, 2013 AT 6:36 PM
JSTOL
OK well I tested for power at the fan and I'm getting nothing. I have a multi meter I borrowed from my neibor.
Wednesday, September 18th, 2013 AT 7:01 AM
SATURNTECH9
With the blower motor on high check the purple wire to the blower motor for battery voltage and the white wire for a 2 ohms or less to ground use the 200 ohms setting on the meter to check the ground. Let me knowwhat you find.
Wednesday, September 18th, 2013 AT 8:40 AM
JSTOL
OK my niebors not home or I would ask him. But on the meter he gave me I have under ohm's I have RX1, RX10 and RX1k. Settings. Assuming I use the RX10 setting I get 5ohm on the white cable no matter what I set the heat at or if the car is on or not. On the purple wire I get 4 ohm on every setting except with the car off and no key in the ignition then it goes to about 18 ohm.
Wednesday, September 18th, 2013 AT 9:54 AM
SATURNTECH9
The purple wire were not going to be checking for ohms to ground. The meter will be set to 20 volts DC vikts scale. Put the key in the run position turn the blower fan on high ground the black wire of the meter. Hook the red lead of the meter to the purple wire terminal at the blower motor connector. You should see battery voltage? Sounds like you have a ground on the white wire. Let me know what you find so far we might have a bad blower motor control module.
Wednesday, September 18th, 2013 AT 12:27 PM
JSTOL
Yes I do see the meter move a bit under the 20volt section of the meter. When set exactly as you suggested above.
Wednesday, September 18th, 2013 AT 1:07 PM
SATURNTECH9
Now measure across the two terminals with everything set the same key ac setting etc. What does the volt reading say?
Wednesday, September 18th, 2013 AT 1:21 PM
JSTOL
I figured it out. On top of blowing the fan I also blew a 30 amp fuse located under the hood. The one place I hadn't checked for any blown fuses. Thanks for all the help!
Wednesday, September 18th, 2013 AT 3:07 PM
SATURNTECH9
Your welcome that explains it glad you found the problem.
Wednesday, September 18th, 2013 AT 5:43 PM