BATTERY LIGHT

2004 Chevrolet Malibu

dmachado84

July, 13, 2011 AT 8:19 PM

My dash battery light comes on mostly on hills. I don't seem to lose any power and the light turns off after a few second. I have tested the battery and alternator at 3 local auto parts stores both of which test out good. I have changed my serpentine belt. However I still can not find a solution for this problem. Any ideas what to fix next?

Why Is My Battery Light On?

1 IMAGE

Gen Light

saturntech9

July, 13, 2011 AT 10:02 PM

Do you have a multimeter?

dmachado84

July, 13, 2011 AT 10:41 PM

I don't. If I get one what should I be testing with it?

saturntech9

July, 13, 2011 AT 10:57 PM

Get a multimeter hook it up to the battery cables start the car turn on the head lights on high beam turn on the a/c blower speed on high and tell me what the voltage reading is.

dmachado84

July, 13, 2011 AT 11:06 PM

Will do.

saturntech9

July, 13, 2011 AT 11:10 PM

Keep me posted.

dmachado84

July, 14, 2011 AT 6:05 PM

Okay so have tested with the car running, high beams on and a/c blowing on high and I am getting a reading on the battery of 13.92 with the multimeter.

saturntech9

July, 14, 2011 AT 11:54 PM

Sounds like its charging right now you have a intermintant problem with maybe the alternator failing or the charge light circuit issue. If your belt isnt slipping do you any belt squeal ever especialy with the a/c on?You may have to wait till it happens more frequently and for a longer time then a quick flash of the battery light. Are your battery cables clean and tight?

dmachado84

July, 15, 2011 AT 12:20 AM

I have recently changed the belt which never squealed. This has been happening more often but the light still doesn't last for longer then like 10 seconds. Cables are clean and tight. Would a diagnostics test give information for a battery light or does that only work on the check engine light?

saturntech9

July, 15, 2011 AT 1:38 AM

If it did set a code in your computer it would only set a p0506 low battery voltage which wouldnt tell us much. You can check for codes it wouldnt hurt any. If you have any codes let me know the exact code numbers. The problem with that battery light is we need to trouble shoot it when its acting up.

Alternator testing done right
Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet