2004 MALIBU BATTERY LIGHT

• dmachado84
  • 2004 Chevrolet Malibu

My dash battery light comes on mostly on hills. I don't seem to lose any power and the light turns off after a few second. I have tested the battery and alternator at 3 local auto parts stores both of which test out good. I have changed my serpentine belt. However I still can not find a solution for this problem. Any ideas what to fix next?

Wednesday, July 13th, 2011 AT 8:19 PM

• saturntech9

Do you have a multimeter?

+1
Wednesday, July 13th, 2011 AT 10:02 PM
  • dmachado84

I don't. If I get one what should I be testing with it?

Wednesday, July 13th, 2011 AT 10:41 PM
  • saturntech9

Get a multimeter hook it up to the battery cables start the car turn on the head lights on high beam turn on the a/c blower speed on high and tell me what the voltage reading is.

Wednesday, July 13th, 2011 AT 10:57 PM
  • dmachado84

Will do.

Wednesday, July 13th, 2011 AT 11:06 PM
  • saturntech9

Keep me posted.

Wednesday, July 13th, 2011 AT 11:10 PM
  • dmachado84

Okay so have tested with the car running, high beams on and a/c blowing on high and I am getting a reading on the battery of 13.92 with the multimeter.

Thursday, July 14th, 2011 AT 6:05 PM
  • saturntech9

Sounds like its charging right now you have a intermintant problem with maybe the alternator failing or the charge light circuit issue. If your belt isnt slipping do you any belt squeal ever especialy with the a/c on?You may have to wait till it happens more frequently and for a longer time then a quick flash of the battery light. Are your battery cables clean and tight?

Thursday, July 14th, 2011 AT 11:54 PM
  • dmachado84

I have recently changed the belt which never squealed. This has been happening more often but the light still doesn't last for longer then like 10 seconds. Cables are clean and tight. Would a diagnostics test give information for a battery light or does that only work on the check engine light?

Friday, July 15th, 2011 AT 12:20 AM
  • saturntech9

If it did set a code in your computer it would only set a p0506 low battery voltage which wouldnt tell us much. You can check for codes it wouldnt hurt any. If you have any codes let me know the exact code numbers. The problem with that battery light is we need to trouble shoot it when its acting up.

Friday, July 15th, 2011 AT 1:38 AM