Electrical or Computer Problem - how do I proceed for repairs?

DAVES
  • 2003 SATURN VUE
Driving car, engaged right turn signal, slowed down, braked for stop sign, engine died, and we coasted to a stop. All the dash lights started flashing, a clicking noise came from under the dash (and continued for at least 15 minutes - even after the key was removed from the ignition), and the car wouldn't re-start. This was the second time this happened - the first time we replaced the battery as the mechanic suggested - the codes the first time were P1599, P1516, P1670, P1682. The BCM was replaced two years ago.

Monday, October 10th, 2011 AT 5:55 PM

SATURNTECH9
Heres what I need you to do have the battery charged and tested. Then when you have that done start the engine let it idle and check the voltage at the battery cables at idle. Let me know what the voltage is. Sounds like a charging issue from what you described. Also what size engine do you have?
Monday, October 10th, 2011 AT 6:06 PM
DAVES
The Vue is 4cylinder, 2.2litre, FWD. The battery voltage of the new battery is 12.43volts - I can't start the engine, so I'm unable to determine the alternator output.
Monday, October 10th, 2011 AT 6:14 PM
SATURNTECH9
That clicking you decribed is usually because of low battery voltage. WHat happens when you turn the key to start it?Also if you check the voltage while trying to start it what does the voltage read?
Monday, October 10th, 2011 AT 6:31 PM
DAVES
First, the voltmeter reads 12.33 at rest. The car actually started this time and I got a reading of 14.45, but there was a clunk and a low rumble that isn't usually there that lasted about 30 seconds, as well as a buzzing under the dash (a relay?). I used the right turn signal and again the car quit and all the lights started flashing (voltage reading of 12.9) - the buzzing continued until I took the key out of the ignition. All this happened in about 2-3 minutes.
Monday, October 10th, 2011 AT 7:08 PM
SATURNTECH9
Where did the clunk low rumble come from?Also we dont know if the battery is fully charged so that could be another issue there. Try starting it again and turn on the headlights see if it dies then.
Monday, October 10th, 2011 AT 7:16 PM
DAVES
My wife pointed out where she thought the rumble came from - it was around the starter (below the air intake). The engine was trying to turn over this time, but would not fire - no buzzing, no flashing lights, no ticking. The headlights will turn on - but I wasn't able to start the engine to test at the same time.
Monday, October 10th, 2011 AT 7:30 PM
SATURNTECH9
Lets do this have the battery charged and tested and go from there also make sure the battery cables are clean and tight. Theres where we need to start and go from there.
Monday, October 10th, 2011 AT 7:36 PM
DAVES
The battery was charged over night to 12.85Vdc but could not start the car. Towed the Vue to GM dealer for next stage of work. They thought it was my ingition switch module and that my after market auto start had caused the ignition switch to fail. They replaced the ignition switch and removed the auto start control. $580.00 later I tried to drive off the lot and the car died. They pondered for another day and found a broken /corroded wire leading from the positive battery fuse block post to the ignition switch. The spliced in a lead and all seems to be fine.
Saturday, October 15th, 2011 AT 4:06 PM
SATURNTECH9
So did they give you a refund for replacing the ignition switch etc?Because with a bad batttery how could they test the switch correctly?Sounds they guessed and guessed wrong the first time. Especailly since you couldnt even drive it off the lot when they were done.
Saturday, October 15th, 2011 AT 4:12 PM