CAN THIS BE FIXED WITHOUT COMPLETE REPLACEMENT?

• tankenv
  • 2003 Pontiac Aztek

There is a pipe-like support that runs inside the rear "swing arm" on my aztek. The swing arm is constructed of an inverted u-shaped structure which is fairly lightweight and perforated. The pipe-like support is broken almost exactly in the center, the ends appear to be welded to the inside of the hub assembly behind the wheel plates. Do I have to repair the existing support? Can I replace only the support? Or do I have to replace the entire axle assembly?

Saturday, April 28th, 2012 AT 12:46 AM

• ASEMaster6371

Part has to be replaced but the question is what part. Can you send a picture so we can see it?

Saturday, April 28th, 2012 AT 12:52 AM
  • tankenv

Here's a photo. Every part diagram I've found online shows similar structure in a secondary diagram, will try to post a pic of that as well.

Saturday, April 28th, 2012 AT 3:57 AM
  • tankenv

Here's the parts diagram

Saturday, April 28th, 2012 AT 4:10 AM
  • ASEMaster6371

Cannot repair that. You need to replace it. It is a big no no to repair damaged suspension parts. It is in your best interest from a saftey standpoint to replace it.

Saturday, April 28th, 2012 AT 12:40 PM