MY CAR IS VERY SLUGGISH TO START

2003 Nissan Sentra

gillianlew

September, 12, 2012 AT 1:10 PM

When barely pushing the gas, has high rpm's. What could I do to troubleshoot? When at a stop, my car is sluggish getting going. When putting slight pressure on the gas, the rpm's go to 4 and stay between there and 5 no matter what speed I am going. Also the car does not seam to be changing gears. What could possibly be the problem? Thanks

hmac300

September, 12, 2012 AT 1:52 PM

Scan for codes, check fuel pressure, clean throttle plate on both sides with choke cleaner and check ffor a vacuum leak

racosta0209

October, 2, 2012 AT 2:34 AM

I have the exact same problem in a Nissan Sentra 2001 1.8L with 105K miles. I parked the car running just fine and an hour later when I came back and started it, I immediately noticed something was not right; during the trip I found all the same problems described in the question. Please let me know if you already found the source of this issue. Thanks.

robertwallace1

October, 4, 2012 AT 7:24 PM

My Sentra has done this twice. Basically it is the battery charge. The transmission does not have sufficient volts/amps to control the solenoids and the transmission starts and stays in 2nd gear (limp mode). Hence the sluggishness from a stop. Have your battery load checked. 2001 Sentra GXE w/434000 original miles on the original engine.

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Filter Change
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford F-250