WHY IS THERE AN UNUSUAL STROKE WHEN MY CAR SHIDTS GEARS?

• chavacamarena
  • 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse

I recently noticed an unusual pull when my car shifts from 2 to 3 gear. I have automatic transmission and I rwcently replaced the starter. And I might have taken a transmission bolt out by accident but I replaced it right away after I noticed my mistake. What could this strange stroke be a symptom of?

Tuesday, July 24th, 2012 AT 11:49 PM

• ASEMaster6371

Could be slipping internally. Is there any check engine lights? How is the fluid? Have you serviced the trans fluid regularly?

Wednesday, July 25th, 2012 AT 12:20 AM
  • chavacamarena

I checked the trans fluid, it is critically low, and I got code po743. To my knowledge the car has not been getting regular service on trans fluid.

Thursday, July 26th, 2012 AT 8:13 PM
  • ASEMaster6371

You can try changing the fluid and see what happens but I think you have internal issues.

Thursday, July 26th, 2012 AT 8:14 PM
  • chavacamarena

I looked around all over the place but I just do not seem to find where should I add the new fluid, I cannot find the cap or somewhere to put it. All I see is the dipstick. Where do I add the new fluid? Please help.

Thursday, July 26th, 2012 AT 8:39 PM
  • ASEMaster6371

In the dipstick tube

Thursday, July 26th, 2012 AT 8:41 PM
  • chavacamarena

So after I found out that my problem was transmission fluid I added a quart and a half of fluid. And the problem was instantly solved, or so I thought because now I have a leaking problem. The fluid is leaking somewhere and I cannot find the. Source of. The leaking, any suggestions where to start looking?

Tuesday, July 31st, 2012 AT 3:01 AM
  • ASEMaster6371

Take it to a shop and let them tell you where it is coming from. There are way too many places it can be leaking from to try to guess.

Wednesday, August 1st, 2012 AT 12:49 AM