HOW CAN I TEST THE START INHIBITOR/NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH FOR AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION?

• revkev316
  • 2003 Mini Cooper

Everything will power up as usual when the key is turned but no power is transferred to the starter. I have messed with the switch with my hand and have gotten it to start every once in a while. I there a certain way to bypass the switch to make sure it is the problem before I drop $125 for a used assembly? Or even is there any way to repair the old switch? Thanks.

Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 AT 3:24 PM

• rasmataz

Check and test the ignition switch and cylinder lock

Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 AT 3:36 PM
  • saturntech9

Just to add to this one I looked up the wire diagram and it only shows the start circuit without the neutral safety switch. It shows a black wire with blue stripe coming out of your ignition switch that should have battery voltage when the key is in the start position at your electronic imobilizer control unit which is on the left side of the dash. Then the black wire with a yellow stripe should have battery voltage coming out of it with the key in the start position.

Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 AT 3:56 PM
  • revkev316

This doesn't answer my question. How do I test the start inhibitor or bypass it. I know it sounds like the ignition but it is very common for the start inhibitor to be replaced on these models so I want to test it.

Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 AT 3:58 PM
  • saturntech9

If you read what I posted I just told you how to test if that is keeping it from starting. If you have power to both those wires to the imobilizer with everything plugged in and the key in the start position I would say that you tested it and its working. If you do this when the starter is inop of course. If you only have power to the black wire with a blue stripe then I would suspect the imobilizer or there is some other reason for the starter being disabled. If you can think of a better way to test please share with us.

Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 AT 4:06 PM
  • saturntech9

Also we dont give info for bypassing security systems on this site.

Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 AT 4:07 PM
  • revkev316

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.

Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 AT 4:16 PM
  • revkev316

I posted that before I saw your post saturntech9. I appreciate any help. No attitude intended.

Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 AT 4:19 PM
  • saturntech9

Your welcome keep us posted.

Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 AT 4:20 PM
  • saturntech9

No problem thanks for clearing that up makes a lot more sense now.

Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 AT 4:22 PM