2003 Mercedes Benz C230 engine will not start

TRCO
  • 2003 MERCEDES BENZ C230
The engine started out surging, no power and stalling when idling. A mechanic suggested using MAF sensor cleaner. I bought a can and sprayed the MAF sensor. I did not remove the sensor. I let it sit for 30 minutes then tried to start it and it would not start, but seemed to be backfiring through intake, but not loudly. I pulled the plugs and they were not fouled. I put about a teaspoon of gas in the intake and that made no difference. I then decided I somehow ruined the MAF sensor, so I bought another one. I installed the new one and it still will not start/no changes. I pulled the connector to the MAF sensor and cleaned with electronics cleaner, did not help.
I am not sure what to do at this point.
Sunday, November 23rd, 2014 AT 3:53 PM

CADIEMAN
YOU NEED TO CHECK FOR A CLOGGED CONVERTER. REMOVE THE FRONT OF THE CONVERTER. THEN SEE IF IT WILL START AND IDOL.

-
Sunday, November 23rd, 2014 AT 5:12 PM
CADIEMAN
IF YOU CAN'T REMOVE
THE CONVERTER REMOVE THE MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR AND TRY AND START IT.
-1
Sunday, November 23rd, 2014 AT 5:22 PM
TRCO
Not to argue, but I really don't think the converter is the problem since the engine ran, though poorly, until I sprayed the MAF sensor. I don't see the connection. Perhaps you can explain.

The mass airflow sensor is in line with the intake plumbing. If I remove it, there is just a tube left from the throttle body. I did try unplugging the sensor and this made no difference. Please keep in mind that I just replaced the MAF sensor.

I really do appreciate your thoughts on this and don't want to come across as a know it all, so please don't take it that way and as a matter of fact, if you have any other ideas, I am all ears.
Thanks.
-1
Sunday, November 23rd, 2014 AT 5:36 PM
CADIEMAN
NO POWER AND STALLING IS CAUSED BY:
1) A RESTRICTED EXHAUST
2) LOW FUEL PRESSURE ( YOU CAN RENT A GAUGE FOR CHECKING IT AT THE PARTS STORE )
3) CHECK TO MAKE SURE ALL THE CYLINDERS ARE GETTING SPARK. START HERE OK
-1
Monday, November 24th, 2014 AT 6:41 AM
CADIEMAN
Try
SPRAYING THROTTLE BODY CLEANER IN THE INTAKE WILL IT START?
-1
Monday, November 24th, 2014 AT 7:37 AM
TRCO
The engine will not start (see 1st post)
+1
Tuesday, November 25th, 2014 AT 3:28 PM
TRCO
I sprayed gas and MAF cleaner, will not start. Checked coils for power and there IS power to the coils. So there is power to the ignition coils, the plugs are clean and there is fuel to the cylinders.

Again, I just don't understand why cleaning the MAF Sensor would cause the engine to not start. I can understand why cleaning would not help, but why would it cause it to not start, even after replacing the MAF Sensor?
Tuesday, November 25th, 2014 AT 3:33 PM
CADIEMAN
CK. FOR SPARK AT THE PLUG WIRES WITH A TEST LIGHT. SOMETHING HAPPENED WHEN U TRIED TO CLEANED THAT SENSOR. CK. FOR CRACKED VACUEM HOSES ALSO. I'M TRYING TO HELP YOU THE BEST WAY I CAN WITHOUT BEING THERE. SOME TIMES THAT IS HARD.I'M SORRY
Wednesday, November 26th, 2014 AT 12:11 AM
TRCO
Ok, sorry if I am coming across a bit harsh. I really do appreciate your input. I will try your suggestions and let you know. I just need to get this thing going so I can trade it in and get my daughter a decent/safe vehicle to drive.
Wednesday, November 26th, 2014 AT 4:12 AM
TRCO
Can't find any vacuum leaks and the spark plugs are firing.
The backfiring back thru the intake concerns me. Could it be the camshaft position sensor? I am going to check to make sure the wiring is connected to it, maybe that is the problem.
Wednesday, November 26th, 2014 AT 3:38 PM
CADIEMAN
THE ONLY THING IT CAN BE IS A INTERNAL ENGINE PROBLEM SORRY TO SAY. THE BACK FIRING THROUGH THE INTAKE SUPPORTS THIS. IT SOUNDS LIKE A TIMING ISSUE. IT MAY BE A CHAIN OR GEAR HAS LOST A TOOTH.
Wednesday, November 26th, 2014 AT 4:02 PM
TRCO
Thanks. Have a happy Thanksgiving! I appreciate your help
Thursday, November 27th, 2014 AT 7:29 AM
CADIEMAN
SAME TO YOU!
Thursday, November 27th, 2014 AT 3:26 PM
TRCO
I've done some research and found the symptoms match a bad Camshaft Position Sensor. It has a three pin connector. Is there a way to check to see if the sensor itself is bad with an ohmmeter? I want to exhaust all of the easy things before I tackle the timing chain.
Friday, November 28th, 2014 AT 4:27 PM
CADIEMAN
I'M NOT SURE ON THAT SENSOR. CK. THE TIMING BY REMOVING #1 PLUG. HOLD YOUR FINGER OVER PLUG HOLE AND KEEP TAPPING THE KEY UNTIL U FEEL COMPRESSION COMING OUT THE PLUG HOLE. THEN USE A PENCIL IN THE CYLINDER TO FEEL THE PISTON COMING ALL THE WAY UP TO THE TOP AS U TURN THE ENGINE BY HAND WITH A RATCHET. WHEN THE PISTON ALL THE WAY UP. THE TIMING MARKS SHOULD LINE UP ON THE CRANKSHAFT PULLEY IF NOT U NEED TO REPLACE THE CHAIN.
Friday, November 28th, 2014 AT 6:12 PM
TRCO
OK I'll give it a try, hopefully tomorrow, if I get home from work in time.
Friday, November 28th, 2014 AT 6:39 PM
CADIEMAN
Ok
Saturday, November 29th, 2014 AT 5:03 AM