CAR WON'T START

2003 Kia Spectra

pturner_55

September, 30, 2012 AT 4:42 PM

03 kia spectra, turns over good but won't start, the fuel pump and filter has been changed and still nothing. Any ideas?
thanks

September, 30, 2012 AT 5:17 PM

Start with basics. Compression, fuel pressure, whether you replaced pump or not, and spark.

Start there

pturner_55

October, 19, 2012 AT 5:41 PM

There is plenty of fuel pressure, we took the timing cover off to check it and of corse it's not turning.
It is loose but you can't just pull it out of there. Is there something that would be holding it? I don't have a book on it so without tearing it apart I don't know what all is there.

October, 20, 2012 AT 12:05 PM

If the timing belt is loose, it has failed and needs to be replaced and being an interference engine, there could be more bad news. The valves could be damaged by the pistons when the belt failed.

This job is not easy to do and you need to have sufficient tools and equipments. Btw whatever you do now, do not attempt to turn the camshaft manually. There is a possibility the valves might not be damaged but if you turn the camshaft and later the crankshaft, you would definitely damage the valves.

Do not attempt to start engine again.

Check out the link, procedures are similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLkdnkFW9c0&feature=related

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang