Car won't start

PTURNER_55
  • 2003 KIA SPECTRA

03 kia spectra, turns over good but won't start, the fuel pump and filter has been changed and still nothing. Any ideas?
thanks

Sunday, September 30th, 2012 AT 4:42 PM

ASEMASTER6371

Start with basics. Compression, fuel pressure, whether you replaced pump or not, and spark.

Start there

Sunday, September 30th, 2012 AT 5:17 PM
PTURNER_55

There is plenty of fuel pressure, we took the timing cover off to check it and of corse it's not turning.
It is loose but you can't just pull it out of there. Is there something that would be holding it? I don't have a book on it so without tearing it apart I don't know what all is there.

Friday, October 19th, 2012 AT 5:41 PM
KHLOW2008

If the timing belt is loose, it has failed and needs to be replaced and being an interference engine, there could be more bad news. The valves could be damaged by the pistons when the belt failed.

This job is not easy to do and you need to have sufficient tools and equipments. Btw whatever you do now, do not attempt to turn the camshaft manually. There is a possibility the valves might not be damaged but if you turn the camshaft and later the crankshaft, you would definitely damage the valves.

Do not attempt to start engine again.

Check out the link, procedures are similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLkdnkFW9c0&feature=related

Saturday, October 20th, 2012 AT 12:05 PM