2003 Honda Odyssey driver-side sliding door does not unlock.

SHASHANKP
  • 2003 HONDA ODYSSEY
I have a 2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L minivan. For sometime now I am unable to unlock the driver side sliding-door using either the keyFOB or the switch in the car. However I am able to LOCK the door using them.
If I unlock it manually and then open the gas tank door it automatically locks (which is the way it should do only when the gas tank door is opened). This hints me that the sensor which tells the car computer to lock the door when the gas tank door is opened is working as it should.
I do not know what is to be suspected. Help is highly appreciated.

Friday, May 6th, 2011 AT 1:31 AM

KHLOW2008
Problem could be due to the unlocking circuitry. It can lock but not unlock and the first thing you need to do is to check for trouble codes as the system is controlled by the multiplex control system.
Friday, May 6th, 2011 AT 9:00 PM
SHASHANKP
Thanks for the reply.
I have an OBD scanner which I thought should give me the trouble code but there were no DTC's provided by the car's computer.
If there is any other thing I need to look for please let me know.
Saturday, May 7th, 2011 AT 10:53 PM
KHLOW2008
OBD readers would not work on this.

RETRIEVING DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES
Turn ignition switch to OFF position. Turn power sliding door main switch to ON position. Turn ignition switch to ON position. Observe power sliding door indicator light. If power sliding door indicator light illuminates for 2 seconds and then goes off, there is an intermittent problem. Erase DTCs, perform the re-homing procedure and retest system.

If power sliding door indicator light stays on, go to next step.

2. Turn power sliding door main switch to OFF position. Press and hold open or close button of door that is not working. With open or closed button pressed, turn power sliding door main switch to ON position for one second, then turn power sliding door main switch to OFF position. Go to next step.

3. One second after power sliding door main switch is turned to OFF position, release open or close button. Power sliding door indicator light will begin to flash DTCs in order they were set. As many as 5 DTCs can be stored. The number of long (one second) blinks indicates the first digit of the DTC. The number of short (.25 second) blinks indicates the second digit of the DTC. When there are multiple DTCs,
there is a.5 second break between DTCs. If there are no DTCs, power sliding door indicator light will illuminate for 3 seconds, then go off.

3.
DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE INDEX

DTC Description

1 Power Sliding Door Switch Circuit Fault
2 Short Between Sliding Door Handle Switch & Remote
Control Circuits
11 Door Open Circuit Short To Ground
12 Door Close Circuit Short To Ground
13 Remote Control Circuit Short To Ground
14 Sliding Door Handle Switch Circuit Short To Ground
15 Keyless Receiver Circuit Short To Ground
21 Slide Motor Revolution Sensor Circuit 1 Fault
22 Slide Motor Revolution Sensor Circuit 2 Fault
23 Power Sliding Door Control Unit Fault
24 Slide Motor Revolution Sensor Circuit Fault
25 Slide Motor Circuit Fault
Sunday, May 8th, 2011 AT 5:30 AM
SHASHANKP
I really appreciate you taking the time to offer suggestions. I will try to do this on the car today and get you the results.
Thanks again.
Monday, May 9th, 2011 AT 2:28 PM
SHASHANKP
Finally I did get some time to retrieve the diagnostic code from Odyssey. Unfortunately there were no DTC's stored because the sliding door indicator light lit for 3 secs and then went out.
I tried to re-home the door but even that did not make any difference. Any more ideas would be appreciated.

Thursday, May 12th, 2011 AT 7:28 PM
KHLOW2008
The DTC indicator turning off after 3 seconds means this is an intermittent problem and under such cirumstances, it is not going to be easy to diagnose.

Check wireharness for contamination, corrosion etc. Check ground circuit connections, clean and retighten if necessary.
Thursday, May 12th, 2011 AT 9:17 PM