2003 Ford Taurus Charge Light On

TRULYTAM
  • 2003 FORD TAURUS
Car started losing power while I was driving (radio filled with static, speed went to 0 regardless of pressing gas pedal, charge light came on). Pulled over and cut the car off and tried to recrank but it wouldnt start. Took terminals off battery and cleaned them then car tried to crank but didnt (windows, lights, and radio were worked now). Got a jump start and drove 20 miles home. Got a new battery BUT guy put it in backwards and it sparked and horn blew as if I was pressing and holding it. Radio, clock, cigarette lighter no longer worked after that but charge light was on. Got a new alternator and drove the car maybe 30 minutes then RPM went to 0, charge light still on, airbag light came on so I pulled over and put car in neutral and the car rev'd up on its on for a few seconds then tried cutting off so I put it in park and cut the switch off. Car sat for 5 minutes and when I turned the key it wouldnt crank but tried to turn. Waited for a relative to show up so I tried to crank again and car crunk up just fine but charge light was still on & when I pressed the brakes to put the car in gear it wanted to cut off so I turned it off and it hasnt crank sense only tries to crank. Im now being told it could be a starter issue or blown mega fuse due to battery being placed in backwards. I put a new starter on the car about a year ago, new motor, plugs & wires, pcv valve all within the last 8 monts. What's causing the charge light to be on when I have a new battery (bought last week) and new alternator (yesterday)?
Thursday, December 3rd, 2015 AT 1:18 PM

Have you checked the fusible link between the alt and battery? It works like a fuse but looks like s typical wire. If it goes bad, the battery won't charge.
Thursday, December 3rd, 2015 AT 6:30 PM
TRULYTAM
I actually went ahead and purchased a 175 amp mega fuse from Autozone for $5 and it solved the issue! Car cranks & drives as it did the day I bought it & the charge light has gone out! Thanks!
Thursday, December 3rd, 2015 AT 7:18 PM
Excellent! Glad you got it fixed.

Have a great holiday,
JOe
Monday, December 7th, 2015 AT 6:35 PM