CAR STARTS INTERMITTENTLY IN AZ

• william_usaf
  • 2003 Ford Escape
  • automatic

My wife's car starts intermittently. My mother in law said she her a weird hissing type noise when she tried to crank the car but it would not start. She got stuck at walgreens and let the car sit for abou 10 mins and went back and tried again and it cranked. I also noticed the RPMs were a little lower than normal as well.
2003 Ford Escape

Sunday, June 26th, 2011 AT 10:53 PM

• rasmataz

Do you have a check engine light and when was last tune-up?

When it refuses to start do below immediately don't wait to determine if its fuel or spark problem.

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if so, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it.

Sunday, June 26th, 2011 AT 11:22 PM
  • william_usaf

Thanks I will check this out. There is not a check engine light at the moment and I didn't realize this at the time but the car is running low at idle as well, @ 500 rpm. I am not sure if this is 2 separate problems or one combined but they both popped up just yesterday. Again Thanks.

Sunday, June 26th, 2011 AT 11:39 PM
  • rasmataz

Clean out the idle air control valve with a carb cleaner and the MAF sensor with an electronic cleaner CRC and see what happens

Monday, June 27th, 2011 AT 2:04 AM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

This is where it is, and how it looks on our 3.0 '03 Escape

EZ removal to clean or replace.2 bolts and a electrical connection!

I just did both, to my wife's not too long ago.

Keep us informed!

The Medic

Monday, June 27th, 2011 AT 2:24 AM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

Sorry--"both" meaning, "cleaned and then replaced". Just one IAC on your vehicle!

The Medic

Monday, June 27th, 2011 AT 2:26 AM