I have no power in reverse so I'm changing my.

WILLIAMBAPTISTE
  • 2003 DODGE RAM
I have no power in reverse so I'm changing my rear servo because it seems to be worn out. I have started disassembling the transmission while leaving it on the vehicle. I am trying to remove the pin for the servo arm and I'm stuck on the valve body removal. I am trying to disconnect the throttle linkage and external housing but unable to figure out how to remove these. Can I get a tip or instructions on how to do this?
Saturday, February 23rd, 2013 AT 9:19 PM

ASEMASTER6371
First, who told you the srvo is bad and why?

Saturday, February 23rd, 2013 AT 9:22 PM
WILLIAMBAPTISTE
I went to a transmission shop and the mechanic took it for a test drive. He was going about 60 km per hour and shifted into first gear and there was no engine breakage. He diagnosed most likely the servo and gave me a free one. Wish he would have just fixed it but he didn't have time and a long weekend ahead of him. It seemed like something I would be able to do over the weekend
-1
Saturday, February 23rd, 2013 AT 9:25 PM
WILLIAMBAPTISTE
He also asked me if there was loose or too much gap because I did a tranny flush and inspected it prior and there was a bit of a gap. I can see it isn't sealed like the front servo is
+1
Saturday, February 23rd, 2013 AT 9:27 PM
ASEMASTER6371
60 mph and shifted to first gear? You are lucky that the trans did not go bad. That should never be done. Imagine a stick shift downshifting into first gear at 60? The motor would over rev and the trans would be overworked.

Anyway, I am more concerned about the no reverse. All forward gears are ok? That would be good. That would indicate a rear band failure but it may not be the servo. When you remove the cover, there should be a pistone with 2 seals and a rod attached that goes to the band end. Is that correct?

No wonder the trans guy did not want to fix it.
Saturday, February 23rd, 2013 AT 9:32 PM
WILLIAMBAPTISTE
Er about 50 kilometre per hour or so just enough speed to get some engine breakage in first gear not miles sorry
+1
Saturday, February 23rd, 2013 AT 9:33 PM
WILLIAMBAPTISTE
Yeah it may be a rear band failure but hopefully it's the servo. When I remove the pan there is the front and rear servo with lever and strut that go to the bands yes
+1
Saturday, February 23rd, 2013 AT 9:36 PM
WILLIAMBAPTISTE
I have to take the valve body off to get a punch on the servo arm pin and the external housing for the throttle linkage is what I need to take off next
+1
Saturday, February 23rd, 2013 AT 9:40 PM
WILLIAMBAPTISTE
All forward gears are okay
Saturday, February 23rd, 2013 AT 9:42 PM
ASEMASTER6371
You will need a new valve body to case gasket if you remove the valve body along with the seals, if you dont already have them.

There should be a nut either on the outside of the case or inside the case to release for throttle and selector shafts. It would be where the shifter is and the throttle linkeage is at. You dont have to remove all the valve body bolts to drop it, just the ones that secure it. The other keep the halves together. Do not split the valve body.

Be careful of the long rod for the parking pawl. It is easy coming out but tricky goin back in. Look at the channell it goes into when removing

roy
Saturday, February 23rd, 2013 AT 9:45 PM
WILLIAMBAPTISTE
Thanks guess I'm just having difficulty finding the nut. I suppose I should just reassemble it and leave it at the shop before I damage it
+1
Saturday, February 23rd, 2013 AT 9:49 PM