AFTER DESCRIBING MY CONCERN BELOW, DO I HAVE A PROBLEM OR NOT?

2003 Dodge Ram

sandplunn

December, 12, 2011 AT 9:58 PM

I have a 2500 Ram with a 5.9 Deisel. I thought I had a charging problem and thought it to be my alternator because both batteries were only 2 years old. The alternator checked good and it turns out that the primary battery was bad. I changed the battery and still have the seem indications on the charge meter.
When I turn the key on the volt meter goes to just UNDER 14 volts. I thought it used to go just OVER 14 volts. In any case, when I start the truck the meter stays slightly UNDER 14 volts. Within 5 minutes the gauge goes up to slightly OVER 14 volts and stays there.
Do I have anything to be concerned about or is this normal operating and I have just forgot what I thought I used to see.

caradiodoc

December, 12, 2011 AT 10:09 PM

Dash gauges are never real accurate. Use an inexpensive digital voltmeter to measure the battery voltage while the engine is running. If it's between 13.75 and 14.75 volts, the charging system is working properly. Be aware that on diesels, it's normal for the voltage to drop below 13.75 volts intermittently when the air heater cycles on.

Wrenchtech

December, 12, 2011 AT 10:38 PM

You are also charging 2 batteries at the same time so it may run a little lower.

Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement