No start when hot

LNOVA
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN
3.3 flex-fuel. Van starts great when cold, after driven approximately twenty miles or more and shut off, will not crank. When the key is turned on, there is a clicking noise underneath coming from the leak detection pump. When this chattering stops, then the car will crank and run. Just started two days ago. No check engine light on.
Wednesday, June 1st, 2011 AT 12:45 AM

GIZMOGUY
Yes, I have seen this problem before when the leak detection pump shorts out it will pull the signal from the computer not allowing the starter to engage. To be sure unplug the pump and see if the starter works?

Here is the pump location.

This guide can help as well

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know what happens.

Cheers
Wednesday, June 1st, 2011 AT 4:41 AM
LNOVA
It is between the vacuum canister and the purge valve under the van. It pressurizes the system for the PCM to check for leaks. Here is the oem part number 4891416AD. You will find it on the internet. I disconnect the electrical connector from the LDP (leak detection pump) and the chattering stops. My only thought is that the car should still start with the bad LDP, but it does not.

The electrical system is charging properly. If you leave the key on long enough, the chattering stops and the car will start. Is something else holding the circuit open? When the chattering stops, you here a relay close up by the fuse box. There are only two types of relays in the fuse box, so I rotated them all 1 position to rule out a bad relay. Thanks for any more info you can give me.
Wednesday, June 1st, 2011 AT 1:35 PM
GIZMOGUY
If disconnecting the LDP pump connector stops the chattering sound, then there is probably a defect related to that circuit which is putting an excessively heavy electrical load on the battery. It could be a bad pump or it could be a defect in the wiring harness (such as damaged or pinched wires). Have you tried leaving the pump disconnected to see if the starting problem disappears? That is probably not a long term fix, but it could be a good method to isolate the fault.
Thursday, June 2nd, 2011 AT 10:18 PM
LNOVA
Thanks for getting back to me. Disconnecting the LDP does not solve the starting problem. I actually took the pump out and put it in my sons van, (he has the same year and model) and he had no problems at all. I tested the crankshaft sensor and the camshaft sensor to see if they were shorting out, because they could send the wrong signal to the PCM and cause it not to crank, but they are good. I tested all my power points and grounds for the sensors and PCM, they were good. I even tried to jump the starter at the solenoid when this is happening, and the starter will crank but the engine will not start. When I disconnect the harnesses from the PCM the noise stops. It seems that everything is pointing to the PCM, and the problem is getting worse. I called around about the PCM and no one here in Houston has one. They said they are that prone to failure and they sell quickly. My son had to have his replaced at 60,000, but it was still under warranty. I think I am going to order one on the internet, but I am leary about not knowing the reputation of some of the re-builders. Does it sound like it could be the PCM to you? I appreciate all your effort.
Friday, June 3rd, 2011 AT 2:45 AM
GIZMOGUY
Yes, it does sounds like the PCM is bad. Below is the location try to get a used one.

Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.

Cheers
Friday, June 3rd, 2011 AT 5:12 AM
LNOVA
I got a used PCM and the van has never run better! Thanks for hanging in there with me. I love this site.
Friday, June 3rd, 2011 AT 1:00 PM
GIZMOGUY
Use 2CarPros anytime, we are here to help. Please tell a friend.

Cheers
Friday, June 3rd, 2011 AT 4:23 PM
DANNY1208
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN
I was driving when my van made a weird noise and I lost power. When I would step on the gas I got no response. I put it in neutral and coasted to a gas station, by this time my car had quit running. I was low on gas so I thought I had run out. I got gas and it would not start. I bled the fuel line checked the pump and checked the line and gas is getting through but it still will not start. What do I do next?
Friday, July 20th, 2018 AT 3:45 PM (Merged)
Check the fuel pressure if it is within specs and also if the injectors are pulsing, start here.
RAFIKL
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN
I recently changed the starter, new battery and changed new spark plugs but the other day it completely went dead, nothing happens when I turn on the ignition, completely not working.
Could it be the PCM I heard about.
Can someone please shed some light on this urgently?
Hi,

It sounds like you have a loose or dirty battery cable. Here is a guide to help you see what I am talking about and how to fix it:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/everything-goes-dead-when-engine-is-cranked

Please run down this guide and report back.

Cheers
RAFIKL
No nothing lights up or flashes. Yesterday at first my radio and the heating fan would stay on when I installed a new battery even after I took out the key from the ignition but this morning nothing at all.
If zero dash lights, when you turn on the key, no crank and your sure the battery has a full charge and the connections are good. Check fuse 23-- 10 amp in the integrated power module, under the hood, use a test lite on the fuse circuit, should be hot all the time.
RAFIKL
I am not sure how to check the fuse but I know that when the battery gets a boost it starts up but after a short while the battery gets all drained out and it does not start up again, something is draining out the battery in the vehicle.
BUBBAHARDY
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN
I have replaced the starter with a new one and the van will not start. It is making a clicking sound at the relay but there seems to be no power to the starter or to the fuel pump. Is there a reset switch or something I am missing? I have used a test light to check for power and get nothing. However, all of the lights and the dash indicator lights work. Neutral/safety switch appears to be good. No breaks in any wiring.
BMRFIXIT
Start by making sure you have a good and fully charged battery.
Turn key on and check fuses.
With key on you should have check engine light on if not suspect bad ignition switch.
Check starter relay in fuse /relay box under hood mark and switch relays around.
Unplug BCM wait few minutes and re plug it back and check.
On the starter you should have power at the big B terminal all the time if not check for short between starter and battery positive terminal.
Use a digital multimeter, leads across the battery posts, everything turned off, A fully charged battery is around 12.6 volts. Start the vehicle, take the reading again, is should be around a volt higher, if it is, the charging system is working.

Check the vehicle in the dark, interior--glove box-- under the hood-- in the trunk, for any lite that may stay on all the time and cause battery drain. You can check amp draw for the battery, if drain is excessive, you can pull fuses one at a time till drain goes away or returns to normal. The last fuse that you pulled, that corrected the problem, is the problem circuit.
RAFIKL
Took it to my dealer the other day and he installed a new relay in the IPM box but the car only lasted about 24 hours before it went kaput again on the highway. First the oil light on the dashboard lit and then the engine just shut off. I waited about fifteen to twenty minutes and it started again but shut off again about two kms down the road. I checked the oil and it was not lacking any, I also heard a clicking sound coming from the IPM box for a short while when I opened the hood. After that it would crank but would not start. Towed it back to my dealer again and they replaced a positive battery cable and now the car works great.
Glad you could get it fixed, that kind of problem can be tough. Please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help.

Cheers, Ken
SPRINGDALE
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN
Six cylinder front wheel drive automatic.

Recently installed used motor, have fuel pressure, when turning the motor over it sounds like it is backfiring and does not have continuous fire on cylinders 2 and 5. It tries to start but does not. Could the used motor be out of time? It is a 3.3L flex fuel.