2003 Dodge Caravan A/C

JOESHOUSE74
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN
A/c clutch wont engage. Replace pcm because of another problem, you can jump the relay and get the compressor to come on, and blows cold.
Thursday, July 23rd, 2015 AT 4:15 PM

Most likely the system is low on charge. You'll need to connect a set of gauges to know for sure, but Chrysler also provides a really convenient sight glass on the receiver / drier. Wipe that off and watch for bubbles while the compressor is running. That glass is about 1/4" in diameter right in the middle of the top of the assembly on the right inner fender.
Thursday, July 23rd, 2015 AT 7:21 PM
JOESHOUSE74
Its not low on freon. Its had to be a computer problem somewhereor a short
Thursday, July 23rd, 2015 AT 8:16 PM
JOESHOUSE74
It worked fine before the injector wiring harness shorted out.
Thursday, July 23rd, 2015 AT 8:18 PM
Dandy. Please verify there's no bubbles in the sight glass. I'm going to have to dig up a wiring diagram, but I don't want to spend the time to do that if it's just something simple like a leak or low charge.

If you don't see any bubbles in the sight glass, or at least very few, look on the low side metal line if there's a low-pressure cutout switch. I don't think they're using that design any more, but if you do have one, (it will have only two wires on it), you can connect the two terminals in the connector with a stretched-out paper clip. If the compressor turns on, that is proof the system is low on charge. I suspect it's still not going to run and we'll have to look at the diagram to see where to start checking.
Thursday, July 23rd, 2015 AT 10:35 PM
JOESHOUSE74
No bubbles in the sight glass. And the only switch on the a/c lines has 3 wires. And I tried jumping those.
-1
Friday, July 24th, 2015 AT 5:37 AM
Don't short the wires to a three-wire unit. That is a sensor with a voltage feed wire that will get shorted to the ground wire and potentially cause more problems. It's only the two-wire units that are on / off switches that can be bypassed.

If you jumpered terminals 30 and 87 in the relay socket, and the compressor ran, that proves the high-current wiring to the compressor clutch, and the clutch are okay. Now we have to figure out why the Engine Computer is not turning the relay on.

The only thing you're going to be able to do yourself is check terminal 86. That should have 12 volts anytime the ignition switch is on. If you don't, try terminal 85. Wiring diagrams have been known to have mistakes.

If you do have 12 volts on terminal 86, you can raise the relay slightly, or insert a thin piece of wire into terminal 85, then insert the relay. Don't use such a fat wire that it stretches the terminal. That can result in more intermittent operation later. This is the terminal that did not have voltage with the relay removed. You will find voltage there now, once the relay is reinstalled. Use a small jumper wire to ground the wire in terminal 85. That will activate the relay and you'll hear the click of the compressor clutch.

At this point a number of computers get involved, and you're going to need a scanner to talk to them and command them to do things. There may be diagnostic fault codes too that will direct the mechanic to the circuit that needs further diagnosis.
Saturday, July 25th, 2015 AT 10:45 PM
JOESHOUSE74
Sorry ive been busy. But I have power at the fuse terminal 30 and 85
Friday, July 31st, 2015 AT 3:25 PM
I hope you had the relay installed to get 12 volts on terminal 85. Did you try grounding it?
Saturday, August 1st, 2015 AT 10:12 PM
JOESHOUSE74
Grounding witch one?
Sunday, August 2nd, 2015 AT 8:43 AM
This is from my previous reply:

Monday, August 3rd, 2015 AT 7:28 PM
JOESHOUSE74
Well since the vehicle had electrical problems starting from the ecm backwards. Because it worked fine before the wiring harness fried. And I didnt keep it simple.(Over complecating every thing) it was the damn transducer.$500 dollars later. Lol
Monday, August 3rd, 2015 AT 7:34 PM
JOESHOUSE74
Thanks for all the help
Monday, August 3rd, 2015 AT 7:36 PM
Wish I was really of some help. Happy to hear it's solved.
Monday, August 3rd, 2015 AT 8:07 PM