CAM SENSOR

2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser

kariasmith22

October, 15, 2012 AT 2:23 PM

I have replaced the cam sensor and my car is still doing the jerking at 2500 RPM. I have replace the timing belt water pump. A new head gasket and still have the problem. I got the sensor from Autozone at first, now I have purchased one from the dealer and still not working. All the wires are in ok. I dont know what to do at this point

kariasmith22

October, 15, 2012 AT 2:25 PM

The mile are actually 178,000

October, 15, 2012 AT 2:39 PM

What trouble codes are you getting?

kariasmith22

October, 15, 2012 AT 2:57 PM

P0340. My mechanic is so confused at this point. I took it to Chrysler they said it was out of time, so I repaired that first and put a new sensor on. Still same problem. Then is would crank so we found out the heads had to be replaced. '

October, 15, 2012 AT 3:12 PM

Here some tips I got for the problem. Check the wires shown in pictures for damage and breaks before you go on.

A broken wire would casue the code.

kariasmith22

October, 15, 2012 AT 3:15 PM

Where do I find the pictures of the wire that I need to have checked? The dealership said the wires were fine that's why they said it had to be the timing. But clearly it is not.

October, 15, 2012 AT 3:44 PM

The camsensor consists of 3 wires. You need to test them for continuity between the sensor and PCM.

Black/Light Blue is the sensor ground which is linked to a few other sensors. Unplug Cam sensor and test for continuity to terminal # 22 of C2 connector at PCM.

Orange is 5 V supply, ensure voltage is present when ignition is turned on. If none, check wire for continuity to terminal # 29 of C2 connector at PCM.

Tan/Yellow is the CMP signal. Test for continuity to termianl # 34 of C2 connector ofPCM.

Camshaft Angle Sensor Replacement P0015