WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY BRAKES?

2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer

Ms.Iris

My brakes started making a farting noise when applied and the pedal goes down (not all the way) and comes back up all while making the farting noise. The truck stops but it feels hesitant some times. It does not do this every time applied but often enough for concern. HELP PLEASE. I like to be informed before taking it to the shop to avoid being ripped off.

caradiodoc

If you assume you're going to be ripped off, that's how you're going to feel no matter what you're told or sold. You need to start with a standard brake inspection that any shop can do. Often they will give you multiple choices for repairs. Some shops just do the minimum that is required to make the vehicle safe, and no more because they want to save you money. That might sound good at first if you like to be penny-wise and dollar-foolish. Some shops go well beyond the minimum because they're looking out for you long-term. Those shops usually have a reputation for costing a little more but doing better work.

Because of the nature of cars and their owners, mechanics and customers speak different languages. A lot gets lost in translation, especially when there's a service writer in the middle who doesn't really understand cars much better than the owners. This miscommunication is very often the cause of perceived fraud. Mechanics are no different than doctors, accountants, and sales clerks. There's good ones and bad ones, but mechanics are the only people we automatically assume are going to rip us off.

Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Bleed and Flush Your Brake System Correctly