I HAVE A 03 TAHOE LT 5

• Anonymous
  • 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe

Hi I have a 03 Tahoe lt 5.3flex fuel about four days ago a'll the sudden it started spuddering and cutting out to the point I had no acceleration like it was starving for fuel so I read that this happen to someone else in a Gm forum and the service tech said to try replacing the fuel filter so I did it that day and had absolutely no issues until tonight when my 3 year old were on the way back from monster jam it did the exact same thing again so I made it to a parking lot turned off the ignition and let it sit for about three minute then I crunk it up and drove home what could be causing this issue I've thought I it was the fuel pump first but after I replaced the fuel filter it did great. The only thing I've done different today is unhook the battery because I put a k& n filter In a week and a half ago I read on the box your suppose to reset the vehicle after installing it. But keep I'm mind I had this problem prior to unhooking the battery so I'm sure that's not the what's causing the issue. Also I read that the crank position sensor could cause similar outside in this truck what's your thoughts? Thanks

Sunday, March 17th, 2013 AT 5:42 AM

• CJ MEDEVAC

I'M ABOUT TO CHANGE MY SIS/ BRO-N-LAWS FUEL PUMP AFTER CHURCH IN THE MORNING (TODAY)

SAME EXACT RIG AS YOURS!............SAME SYMPTOMS......EXACTLY

270,000 OR SO MILES---SAME ORIGINAL PUMP

I'M A JEEP CJ KINDA GUY (CARBURETATED) , I DIY EVERYTHING, I'VE REBUILT AND REPAIRED MANY JEEP CJs, AND HAVE KEPT UP MY FAMILIES VEHICLES FOREVER................RECKON THAT'S WHY THEY CALLED ME!.......AGAIN!

SO I ASKED 4 DIFFERENT SHOPS, WHAT THE DEAL WAS WITH THE TAHOE (I WORK FOR AN AUTO PARTS STORE, PART TIME, AND DELIVER A LOT)......AND FOR ANY TIPS

ALL FOUR SHOPS TELL ME IT'S THE SYMPTOMS OF A FUEL PUMP GOING OUT, AND THEY WILL START RIGHT BACK UP/ SIT A FEW AND THEY WILL START BACK UP..................WILL GO OUT FOREVER, WHEN YOU ARE THE BAGGAGE TERMINAL AT THE ATLANTA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT....CHRISTMAS EVE! (OR UNDER SIMILAR CIRCUMSTANCES)

SOUNDS PRETTY SIMPLE---ACCORDING TO 4 DIFFERENT SHOPS

SO WITH THIS INFO---IT'S GONNA BE CHANGE THE PUMP TIME !!!!

WE RESEARCHED THE PUMPS PRICE, FOUND THEM TO BE $250 ON UP, AT DIFFERENT AUTO STORES......WITH A ONE YEAR WARRANTY

USING PROMO CODE "A124" FOR $40 OFF BUYING IT ONLINE, THEN PICKING IT UP AT THE STORE........OR USING MY EMPLOYEE 20% DISCOUNT WAS OUR BEST OPTIONS

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_fuel-pump-module-assembly-airtex_15770129-p?navigationPath=L1*14932%7CL2*14986%7CL3*15378

THEN I FOUND THIS ! ! ! !

I FOUND IT ON EBAY FOR $65 OR $67.........WITH A LIFETIME WARRANTY!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-HERKO-FUEL-PUMP-MODULE-E3559M-FOR-CHEVY-GMC-/160487242701?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&;hash=item255dc8fbcd&vxp=mtr

HERE'S THE LIST----THEY ORDERED ONE OF THESE 2 WEEKS AGO.......I'LL SEE IT IN 7 OR SO HOURS

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&;_nkw=E3559M&_sacat=0&_from=R40

WE SORTA FIGURED YOU CAN GET 3 OF THESE, FOR THE PRICE OF ONE OF THOSE..............AND MY SISTER IS HAPPY, HER BROTHER WORKS FOR FREE............HOW CAN SHE GO WRONG NOW OR LATER???

SO---I TAKE PICS OF NEARLY EVERY KINDA CAR REPAIR I DO (IF I REMEMBER), JUST SO I CAN POST 'EM HERE ON 2CARPROS TO HELP OTHERS

THE JEEP STUFF IS WHAT I ENJOY DOING THE MOST........BUT IF I HAVE TO.....I HAVE TO!

ANY INPUT???

Sunday, March 17th, 2013 AT 6:50 AM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

MY 2ND LINK DID NOT WORK

INSTALL "E3559M" INTO EBAY'S SEARCH BOX---IT WILL PULL UP ALL OF THEM

Sunday, March 17th, 2013 AT 6:54 AM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

WE TOOK OUR TIME

CHOCKED THE FRONT WHEELS, PUT THE REAR AXLE ON MY LARGER JACK STANDS, AND REMOVED THE RIGHT REAR WHEEL

DROPPED THE TANK---LEFT THE FRONT OF THE TANK SORTA PIVOTING ON A CROSS MEMBER

WE DROPPED THE REAR ALMOST TO THE GROUND (SAT IT ON A BRICK, ANY LOWER GAS WOULDA SPILLED OUT---IT WAS STILL 1/3 FULL OF GAS)

MINIMAL TOOLS WERE USED!

*****FLOOR JACK

*****2 JACK STANDS

*****15MM SOCKET, LONG EXTENSION, 3/8 DRIVE RATCHET----TO REMOVE 2 TANK STRAPS

*****8MM NUT DRIVER---TO REMOVE 2 HOSE CLAMPS/ FILL HOSE AND VENT HOSE

*****MIRROR (TO SEE THE "UNKNOWN"--AS WE SLOWLY EASED IT DOWN)

*****FLASHLIGHT

*****BLUNT ROD AND BALL PEEN HAMMER--TO REMOVE THE HOLD-DOWN RING FOR THE PUMP

*****SMALL SCREWDRIVER TO CLEAN AROUND THE HOLE

WE REPLACED THE FUEL VAPOR PRESSURE SENSOR WHILE WE WERE AT IT ($40)

TOOK ABOUT 3-1/2 HOURS, THAT INCLUDED GOING TO THE PARTS HOUSE FOR THE VAPOR SENSOR. AND SEVERAL MT. DEW BREAKS. AND SOME JAW JACKIN'!

SO FAR--SO GOOD!

IT'LL MAKE A 160 MILE TRIP TOMORROW----THAT WILL BE THE REAL TEST!

1) BRO-N-LAW
2) JACK STANDS --RR WHEEL OFF
3) REMOVE FILLER HOSE AND VENT LINE
4) UNBOLT 2 STRAPS
5) EXPLAINED
6) EXPLAINED

Monday, March 18th, 2013 AT 6:29 AM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

7) WE DROPPED THE TANK A FEW MORE INCHES AND RESTED THE TAIL END ON A BRICK. ANY LOWER AND THE GAS WOULD COME OUT--IT WAS ABOUT 1/3 FULL
8) THIS IS WHAT THE TOP LOOKS LIKE
9) EXPLANATIONS
10) 2 HOSES OFF---WIRES DISCONNECTED---FUEL IN LINES NOW ON THE TANK
11) VAPOR PRESSURE SENSOR---DID NOT COME W/ PUMP---$32---DECIDED TO REPLACE IT WHILE TANK WAS DOWN
12) REMOVING LOOSE RING FROM OLD PUMP

Monday, March 18th, 2013 AT 6:46 AM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

13) SNAPPING FLOAT ARM INTO NEW PUMP (IT WAS NOT INSTALLED FOR SHIPPING)
14) A LOT OF DIRT---WE STUCK A TAPERED DRINKING CUP IN THE HOLE TO KEEP DIRT OUT OF THE TANK WHILE WE CLEANED AROUND IT
15) NEW PUMP WITH NEW VAPOR PRESSURE SENSOR---READY TO GO IN
16) INDEX --READ!
17) GENTLY INSTALLING THE NEW PUMP---CAREFUL W/ THE FLOAT ARM AND FILTER SOCK---ALIGN IN THE "TAB SLOT" ----PUSH DOWN HARD AND START THE RING CW UNDER "FINGERS"THIS IS THE HARDEST PART, ROOM IS LIMITED FOR BOTH ARMS
18) LOWER RIGHT SIDE OF PUMP IS A "TOOL" I MADE OUT OF A PIECE OF 1/4 INCH STEEL ROD---I GROUND A NOTCH ON THE END SO IT WOULD NOT "DIG IN" WHEN I STUCK IT IN THE RING'S SLOT TO TAP IT A LITTLE MORE INTO PLACE (CLOCKWISE) W/ A BALL PEEN HAMMER ----I BENT THE ROD IN 2 PLACES SO I COULD GET BY THE CONTOUR OF THE TANK

THAT'S IT!

CONNECT THE 2 WIRE CONNECTORS---CONNECT THE FUEL LINES BACK ON----STRAP THE TANK BACK UP--INSTALL THE FILL/ VENT HOSES----PUT THE WHEEL BACK ON

THIS COULDA WENT FASTER HAD I NOT DONE THE PHOTO SHOOTI KEPT SNAPPIN' SHOTS AND KEPT TELLIN' MY BRO-N-LAW TO "WORK IT"!

I TOOK MANY MORE PICS THAN I POSTED---I HOPE I GOT 'EM ALL IN ORDER, AND DID NOT LEAVE NOTHING IMPORTANT OUT

Monday, March 18th, 2013 AT 7:21 AM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

THIS SHOULDA BEEN PIC #5

Monday, March 18th, 2013 AT 7:23 AM