Security light on

GRLD63
  • 2003 CHEVROLET IMPALA
When the car would not start and the key in the on position battery light then security light flashing no bells then out of anger I smack the dash board above the hazard switch and every thing seemed to reset it self the blinkers worked and I was able to start my car could the hazard switch cause all these problems
Saturday, May 26th, 2012 AT 10:54 AM

DRCRANKNWRENCH
It could be the turn signal relay. It could also be the connection to the immobilizer unit or in the unit itself.
See if there are any "Service Bulletins" on it at your local dealership.
Also have the trouble codes pulled. Any Advance Auto or Auto Zone will do this for free.
-1
Saturday, May 26th, 2012 AT 12:45 PM
KHLOW2008
It could be a loose connection somewhere and the bashing of the dash might have reset the the problem.
Saturday, May 26th, 2012 AT 12:49 PM
GRLD63
Should I replace the hazard switch
Saturday, May 26th, 2012 AT 12:54 PM
KHLOW2008
Don't replace anything until you have performed test to certify that it is faulty.
Saturday, May 26th, 2012 AT 1:03 PM
GRLD63
How do I test to see if the hazard switch is the problem
Saturday, May 26th, 2012 AT 1:39 PM
KHLOW2008
If the problem does not come back, then it would be difficult to verify what had gone wrong. Most probably a loose connection and intermittent faults are hard to diagnose.

Check for loose ground circuits first.
Saturday, May 26th, 2012 AT 3:14 PM
TONI BRAUNAGEL
  • 2003 CHEVROLET IMPALA
It does not come on all the time but the security light now and then comes on and stays on till you shut the car off. Should I be worried.
Wednesday, June 12th, 2019 AT 4:55 PM (Merged)
LEGITIMATE007
Not really, that is usually an indication of a weakening battery, or bad weak connections, specifically the ground cable
+1
FAW484
  • 2003 CHEVROLET IMPALA
About three years ago I had a problem with my Impala's security light coming on.I had the ignition lock and cylinder replaced and it solved the problem. But now after three years the light starting coming on again.. I check the battery by a professional and they said it was weak so I got a new one. But the light is still coming on. I checked for trouble codes with my hand held scan tool and there are NO troubles codes present. Can you tell me what may be causing this again? If I install another key and switch can I do the relearn process with turning the key on and off as per Mitchell Repair manual. Are will it have to be done by someone with a Tech 2 scanner.
Wednesday, June 12th, 2019 AT 4:56 PM (Merged)
Try resetting your security system. Turn teh key on and leave on until the light goes out, up to ten minutes. When/if it does then turn the key off and then start the car. If that doesn't fix it then there is another problem and a tech 2 scanner will need to be hooked up to it. Normally only found at dealers.
+1
FAW484
But if I descide to replace the key switch. Can I use the relarn process from Mitchelle
Yes but try to relearn it first as that may be all that is wrong with it.
FAW484
I tried the relearn process like you said and all it did was alternate between the battery light and the security light and I did it for almost 20 minutes and the security light never did go away. Did I not do something right? Thank You for your time
You may have to have the thing checked out by a pro then spending money unecessarily for parts and it may not cure your problem.
FAW484
  • 2003 CHEVROLET IMPALA
I took my car to a repair shop yesterday because the security light on, my impala is coiming on. He had a Tech 2 and said he pulled a code of B1440. And said it was the ignition switch. My quesion is is the ignition switch the key part are the part that all the wires plug into that the key part goes into. And to try and save me some money because I dont have the 450 that he wanted for him to do it if I install it myself can I use the relearn process with the key to get it crank are will a Tech 2 have to be used to crank it once I replace the switch.I enclosed a pic. Is this the part that the code B1440 is saying it is?
BILLYMAC
Yes this is the part. However once you replace you will most likely not be able to start it some will start right up some need reprogrammed 50/50 chance good luck
FAW484
Will a Tech 2 have to be used are can I do the relearn process with the key as described in the mitchell Repair manual?
Wednesday, June 12th, 2019 AT 4:57 PM (Merged)
BILLYMAC
Well I would try the relearn procedure if it works great if not you will need a professional to do it
HAMBURG25
  • 2003 CHEVROLET IMPALA
The car want start and the front light will not come on. Horn want blow or radio will not come on and the fuel pump is not coming on.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/173366_000_0016_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/173366_000_0016_2.jpg

SERVICE WRITER
You need to start by pullin codes from the computer. We ran into a couple of these that lead to the ingition switch as the source. Pretty expensive. But see what is listed in the pcm before jumping to far ahead.