Replace spark plugs

WASECA
  • 2003 BUICK LESABRE
2003 buick lesabre how do you change rear three spark plugs?
Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 AT 10:18 AM

WRENCHTECH

I seen my guys in the shop undo the engine torque mount to roll the engine forward and then push wood blocks to hold the engine while they change the plugs.

There are some engines that make it very difficult to access some of the spark plugs but that engine is not one of the worst ones. If you just use a flex head ratchet with with a 3 inch extension, you should be able to access them.

IMPORTANT: Always use the reinstallation torque specification when installing NEW or USED spark plugs into a USED cylinder head. Use the initial installation torque specification ONLY when installing spark plugs into a NEW cylinder head that has NOT gone through a normal engine thermal cycle.

2.1. Use this reinstallation torque specification when installing NEW or USED spark plugs into a cylinder head that has gone through a normal engine thermal cycle.

Tighten
Tighten the spark plug to 15 N.m (11 lb ft).

2.2. Use this initial installation torque specification ONLY when installing spark plugs into a NEW cylinder head that has NOT gone through a normal engine thermal cycle.

Tighten
Tighten the spark plug to 27 N.m (20 lb ft).

3. Connect the spark plug wires to the spark plugs.
4. Install the fuel injector sight shield.

This guide should help

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-change-spark-plugs

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed. Cheers,
+6
Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 AT 12:08 PM
JABUCK
  • 2004 BUICK LESABRE
What is the best, most effecient way to remove the spark plugs on the rear bank of the 3800 engine? From on top, underneath, or what? I need to change them, but I don't want to pay $110+ to get it done. I have a set of ramps to raise the car about 10 inches off the ground, but do not have access to a lift.
Thanks,
Wednesday, December 19th, 2018 AT 2:15 PM (Merged)
DENNYP
Change them from up top. Ratchet, spark plug socket, 3" extension.
+6
JVOSS
  • 1996 BUICK LESABRE
Have chev 3.8l v-6 Started missing more with rough idle & knocking at the rear of the motor.?Nothing shows up on scan. No smoke out the tail pipe. No oil pressure loss. No overheating. Have engine 1/2 apart. No timing chain jump. No one I've talked with has a clue. Could it be a knock sensor? Didn't show up code for it or anything else. Any clues?
Wednesday, December 19th, 2018 AT 2:16 PM (Merged)
Just for a start, do a cylinder balance test. Engine idling, kill cylinders one at a time, quickly, while you pay attention to the rpms. If any cylinder you kill has no effect on rpms, that cylinder is dead. Then you check for spark-- good fuel pressure-- compression.
JVOSS
JDL, Thank you for your time and expertise. You and all the other guys who give the gift of knowledge provide an invaluable service to the national (and more) community in these hard economic times. My gratitude and sincere thanks, J. Voss
JVOSS
JDL, Thank you for giving of your time and knowledge. You and all who take the time to do so give an invaluable gift to all in these hard economic times. My gratitude and sincere thanks. J.
I didn't do you much. You are the one that fixed it. Glad you got it going your way.
SIN3ITY
  • 2002 BUICK LESABRE
How do you get to the 3 rear spark plugs on a 2002 buick lesabre
Wednesday, December 19th, 2018 AT 2:17 PM (Merged)
I'd have to look at it? However is the easiest to get my arm in there, from the top, either side, from the bottom?
-2
SIN3ITY
I tried from both the driver and passenger. The driver side cut my arm all up. And the I can reach it from the passenger side but I dont have any room to pull the wire off. I cant fit my hand in the top at all
I go through the same thing with rear plugs, fwd vehicles. You just have to keep at it. I don't know if spark plug wire puller would help or not? I have heard of some people tilting the engine forward, a little, I haven't tried that, don't know anything about it.
KAYOO
  • 2004 BUICK LESABRE
I just purchased the car and am not sure when or if the plugs have been changed. Also what is the easiest way to get at the rear plugs
Thank you
The manufacturer recommends at 100K; however I feel 50K is long enough. Ther rear plugs are hard to do and the best way I have found it from under the car.

LEt me know if you have other questions.
-1
JRYDBERG
  • 2001 BUICK LESABRE
I was able to replace my three front spark plugs, but can BARELY even see the wires for the rear 3. Someone told me I have to tip the engine forward, but I'm not sure how to release it to do so.
KNOWYOURAUTO
With the advent of the transaxle cars become more squished into the engine compartment than ever before. This model is actually one of the easier styles to do but still requires a lot of patience and a work by feel.

2001 does not have the "dog bone" style engine that your friend was describing to tilt the engine forward. This was the style.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/435113_Engine38_1.jpg

For your application you will need a universal joint (wobbly) in 3/8" drive along with a 4 inch extension for your spark plug socket. Before trying to pull the plug wires straight off make sure you can rotate the rubber boot both directions about 180 degrees so it doesn't rip the insulation apart. Otherwise you'll be buying new wires.

Good luck,
+5
REBTRA
  • 2001 BUICK LESABREBUICK LESABRE
My 2001 Buick LeSabre V6 3800 Series consistently got 26 MPG. At 150,000 miles I had the original spark plugs replaced. I wish I had not. The car still drives great but my mileage dropped to 20 MPG. Can you tell me what factory plugs were in it and if it would help to replace them with what was originally in the car?
MERLIN2021
Probably AC Delco platinum.
Don't know if he change did it or not tho.
JRYDBERG
  • 2002 BUICK LESABRE
I have replaced the front 3 spark plugs without a hitch, but it appears that I have to drop the engine in order to get to the 3 rear plugs. Is there a way that I can replace the 3 rear plugs by myself? And if so, HOW DO I GET TO THEM?
ERNEST CLARK
It's not necessary to drop your engine. You just need the proper tools.

A spark plug socket with a universal hinge would work the best. Then you'll need an extension. But the length will depend on what's obstructing that particular plug. (Each plug may require a different length).

Also, a magnetic spark plug socket will help you keep the spark plug from dropping. And if something against the firewall is in the way, you can remove it, then reinstall it when you're finished.

Wish you luck.
-1