IGNITION KEY(S) WON'T TURN

2002 Toyota Sienna

Jim Middleton

March, 16, 2011 AT 5:44 AM

2002 Toyota Sienna ignition key won't turn. How do I remove it to install a new one when I can't get it to turn to the acc position so I can use release pin underneath? It was happening intermittently then would not work anymore. I checked to make sure it was solidly in park and made sure the steering column lock was not on.

Can't Remove Ignition Key

97 Country Ignition Switch

Jacobandnickolas

June, 15, 2011 AT 4:23 AM

You need to remove the steering wheel to replace the tumbler. If it has an air bag, you need to be careful. Make sure to disconnect the battery at least 30 minutes before working on it.

Jacobandnickolas

June, 15, 2011 AT 4:25 AM

I forgot to mention, if you have a factory security system, it will need reset to accept the new switch. A dealer will need to do that for you.

Jim Middleton

June, 15, 2011 AT 4:43 AM

Do I really need to remove the steering wheel? My ignition switch is on the dash not the steering column. I have a steering column mounted transmission shifter not a console/floor mounted one. I have everything apart, I just can't get the switch to turn to the ACC position so I can depress the pin release on the bottom of the ignition switch casing to remove the defective switch. Is there a trick to this or is there something I might have to drill out?
How do I tell if I have the factory security system? Thanks so far, I'm tied up with looking after a parent with Alzheimer's disease so my time for troubleshooting is limited.

Thanks,

Jim

Jacobandnickolas

June, 16, 2011 AT 2:41 AM

Sorry about that. I assume all switches are still on the column. There really is no trick. Have you tried lubericating the ignition switch to see if that will help?

Jim Middleton

June, 16, 2011 AT 4:04 AM

I've used penetrant/cleaners, and good quality lubricants (mostly light grade electrical or silicon). I've also used some watch screwdrivers on the top and bottom of the keyway to try to loosen any of the actuators all to no avail. The keys didn't stop working all at once but gave me progressively more trouble until they didn't work at all. Someone mentioned drilling out the release pin but also said there could be trouble when install a new switch. Any more ideas? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

GM Key Fob Programming
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011