2002 Toyota Highlander, cruise control does not engage

RZWILKINSON
  • 2002 TOYOTA HIGHLANDER
I have the same problem as the other guy who has a 2002 Toyota Highlander with the cruise control problem. My car and cruise control not engaging are the same as his. Mine started failing at 275000 miles. Controls work, lights work, cruise does not engage.

Thank you
Monday, October 7th, 2013 AT 11:57 AM

Check four fuses inside car see pic, and then have scanned as it may be an ecu problem.
Monday, October 7th, 2013 AT 12:07 PM
FIXITDAD1
I noted that my "D" light (Drive) was flickering while I was driving. When it did that the cruise control dis-engaged. I adjusted the shift cable, the "D" light stopped flickering and cruise control is working fine. Google Toyota Electronic Transmission Checks and you should find a document with a section to "Inspect and Adjust the Shift Cable". There is a basic diagram on it. I couldn't get it to adjust using their directions so I tried this with the help of my 8 year old.

The shift cable on the Highlander is located under the battery, about an arm's length down. I removed the battery restraint to give better access for my right arm. You'll need a 12mm socket, the small version works good. Place the vehicle on a flat spot and engage emergency break. Locate the shift cable, there are two bolts. Loosen the left bolt, don't remove. Having another person (8 year old) help in the car is great. Turn on the power but don't start the car. Shift the transmission to Drive. Return to the shift cable and slightly adjust/rotate the arm until the 8 year old tells you the D light is staying lit. Tighten down the bolt. Check Park, Reverse, Neutral, etc. Lights should work OK. I couldn't get the the L light to come on but the transmission still engages. Test drive. Cost = your time. Help from the 8 year old, priceless.
Wednesday, November 11th, 2015 AT 2:14 PM
Working with an eight yr old is not only priceless but called dad time. One thing with the adjustment your cable stretched so just keep an eye on it as it may break or get hard to move in and out of gear. If it does replace it.
+1
Wednesday, November 11th, 2015 AT 2:56 PM
RZWILKINSON
Thank you for the reply. In my case it turned out to be a cable connection problem. A wise Service Technician opened the hood, unplugged the electric cable that came up from the unit, and plugged it back in. The 2002 Highlander now has 374,000 miles and the cruise control continues to work great.
+2
Thursday, November 12th, 2015 AT 6:37 AM