Key turns in cylinder but does not engage starter

PELOPATA
  • 2002 TOYOTA AVALON

Key turns in cylinder but does not engage starter. Feels like linkage (?) Is broken.

Thursday, July 5th, 2012 AT 2:06 PM

KHLOW2008

At rear of cylinder is the ignition switch. Remove it from base and test if it is workng correctly.

Reinstall the ignition key cylinder and check at rear to see if it is turning correctly. The cylinder seldom fails but the switch would.

+1
Thursday, July 5th, 2012 AT 3:05 PM
PELOPATA

Thank you. How do you remove switch?

+2
Thursday, July 5th, 2012 AT 4:44 PM
PELOPATA

I have been reading about an "immobilizer". Is that possibly what I am looking at inside the cylinder shaft and part of the problem?

+3
Thursday, July 5th, 2012 AT 4:50 PM
KHLOW2008

No, immobilizer is a sensing unit at the steering and not the key itself nor any moving part of it.

Switch is attached by either one or two screws. Removing the screw would allow you to pull the switch out.

Thursday, July 5th, 2012 AT 4:54 PM
PELOPATA

Well, here is the culprit. When I finally removed the switch, the broken piece pictured here fell out. Looked like it sheared off another piece. I do not know what this piece or shaft is called but it is what you find inside the lock cylinder and the opposite slotted end extends inside the switch. I had a feeling from the get go it was a broken linkage issue. Now, can I get a replacement part?

+11
Thursday, July 5th, 2012 AT 6:43 PM
KHLOW2008

This part comes together with the lock assembly and you would not be able to get it by itself. You can get an ignition lock assembly from the junkyard and cannibalize this part. This would allow you to keep the present key, unless the cylinders are bad and you want to replace the keys.

+2
Friday, July 6th, 2012 AT 1:57 PM
DSWATLOWSKI

I just found I have the same issue as you did, were you able to locate the shaft? Or were you stuck paying $300.00 for the whole assembly?

Saturday, May 17th, 2014 AT 10:15 AM
DSWATLOWSKI

I have a 2002 Toyota Avalon XLS, will the part that your referring to, be the same as a one from a Camry?

-1
Saturday, May 17th, 2014 AT 10:25 AM
SHELLWANTS1

I have a 2002 Toyota Avalon, and I also just had this problem was you able to find just this part or did you have to buy the whole thing for $300?

-1
Thursday, June 26th, 2014 AT 12:44 AM
LTILLER

Just bought a used steering column for $75.00. Changed the lock cylinder mechanism. Now the car is trying to start, but just keeps turning over. Wondering if it is a security issue?

+1
Wednesday, July 2nd, 2014 AT 7:08 PM
JACKEL7777

I have the exact same problem and the ignition tumbler rod broke. I removed the ignition cylinder and the ignition switch on the back of the housing, but do not know how to get the tumbler rod out. Can someone please explain or post a link to a video on how to remove the housing or the ignition tumbler rod? Please help if possible. Thank you!

+1
Friday, September 2nd, 2016 AT 5:54 PM