TURNING SIGNALS

• LollyKaye
  • 2002 Pontiac Sunfire
  • automatic

2002 Pontiac Sunfire. What might cause my turn signals to work intermittently? They start but then stop working. Thank you!

Sunday, December 12th, 2010 AT 2:35 AM

• saturntech9

Do they just light up and not flash when they don't work?The first thing I always check is the flasher relay.

Sunday, December 12th, 2010 AT 2:38 AM
  • LollyKaye

Hi Saturntech9. Sorry for my delayed reply. I was out of town & didn't have my car so I couldn't give you an answer. The blinkers do light up & flash, both left & right. Sometimes they work fine, sometimes may blink a couple of times & then go off. The two front bulbs & 1 back bulb on each side seem to all work when the blinkers are flashing. This just started last Thursday.
THANK YOU DO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!
Lori

Tuesday, December 14th, 2010 AT 4:23 AM
  • saturntech9

The most likely cause is usually a bad flasher relay I posted a diagram of where it is.I also posted a trouble tree for turn signal inop. Here is how you change the flasher in case that's what is wrong.
HAZARD AND TURN SIGNAL FLASHER REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Remove the hazard and turn signal flasher module (1) from the brake pedal bracket (3).
2. Disconnect the electrical connector (2) from the flasher module (1).
3. Remove the flasher module (1) from the vehicle if required.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Connect the electrical connector (2) to the flasher module (1).
2. Install the flasher module (1) to the brake pedal bracket (3).
3. Press the flasher module (1) until the rosebud retainer is secured to the brake pedal bracket (3).

Wednesday, December 15th, 2010 AT 6:09 PM