2001 PONTIAC SUNFIRE BRAKE LIGHTS AND TURN SIGNALS NOT WORK

• gojiduo
  • 2001 Pontiac Sunfire

Brakes problem
2001 Pontiac Sunfire 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 200000 miles

2001 pontiac sufire. Brake lights out. (Tail lights work) turnsignals no longer work, Powerlocks don't work. No hazard lights. Fuses all good inside car at dash side. What could cause the turn signals and brake lights not to work? Car was left for onw eek heavy rain then car had these problems.
Thank you ahead for your respnse
Chris

Tuesday, March 18th, 2008 AT 9:15 AM

• gojiduo

I would like to add that the light bulbs around the car have been checked and replaced and all work with proper replacement bulbs.

Tuesday, March 18th, 2008 AT 9:18 AM
  • M_H_RITZEL

Not sure but I think there is a fuseable link under the hood it should be on the drivers side. There should also be other fuses in there check with tester to make sure a fuseable link had not gotten wet and shorted out.

Tuesday, March 18th, 2008 AT 10:08 AM
  • mastertechtim

ONE MORE THING TO CHECK IS ACTUALLY SEE IF YOU HAVE POWER AT BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH, IF YOU DO THE TURN SIGNAL SWITCH IS BAD. THE BRAKE LIGHTS RUN THROUGH THE TURN SIGNAL SWITCH BEFORE GOING TO REAR LIGHTS. ITS KIND OF A TELL TALE THE TURN SIGNAL SWITCH IS BAD WHEN BOTH BRAKLE LIGHTS AND TURN SIGNALS DONT WORK. GET BACK TO US

Tuesday, March 18th, 2008 AT 11:00 AM
  • gojiduo

Sorry to be a bother I know where ther fuses are under the hood. How would I find the fusable link there? Also what should the readings be on a multi meter to make sure they work? Same for the rear tail lights what is the multi meter reading?
Thanks again and this has definately helped alot.

Tuesday, March 18th, 2008 AT 2:14 PM
  • M_H_RITZEL

The fuseable link looks like a short piece of wire, that sticks up making a loop in the fuse box. Both ends would have a male ends. The wire might be only an inch to 2 inches long. If there is too much of a drain in one curcuit. If it uses too much voltage the middle of the wire melts. If there is one there it would be around the fuses.

Wednesday, March 19th, 2008 AT 6:02 PM
  • Martidee

Thank you ahead for your respnse
Chris[/quote]

Monday, September 29th, 2008 AT 11:52 PM
  • Martidee

I just had the same problem with my 97 sunfire. There is a switch above the the brake. You will need to unscrew the small panel to have access to the switch. There is a part like a relay switch that controls the brake lights and blinkers. My 97 had two of them. I replaced them for $8.00 each plus tax. All is working fine.

Monday, September 29th, 2008 AT 11:56 PM