IS SPUTTERING AT STOPS AND VIOLENTLY WHEN THE AC IS ON

2002 Pontiac Grand Am

kevinfraley

June, 28, 2012 AT 3:19 AM

First off, yea I know the history of Grand Am's and unfortuanly I am stuck with it for awhile. When ever I pull up to a stop the car will lurch forward or sputter. It seems like it might stall but it doesn't. It also does the same thing when the the AC is on. I read another forum that said that it might be the fuel filter, but when I replaced it, it continued.

DrCranknWrench

June, 28, 2012 AT 3:25 AM

You might have a few issues. It will be a process of elimination to determine what is causing the main issue and if there are other contributing problems. I am going to give you a diagnostic walk through for your situation. It covers general misfiring which I believe is the base issue you have and some other things are happening as the computer attempts to correct other issues. When you come to the part in the diagnostic about pulling trouble codes, you can go to any Advance Auto or Auto Zone and they will pull them for free. I also think testing the fuel pressure should be high on the list and you can get a test gauge on a loaner basis at both of the aforementioned stores as well.
Just use the link below;

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-misfires-or-runs-rough