Grand Am AC

RICKS2002
  • 2002 PONTIAC GRAND AM

My 2002 grand am's AC turns on and off. Ck engine light came on AC wouldn't turn on then I shut down the car try again no light on and AC works

Sunday, August 21st, 2011 AT 9:11 PM

Check engine light on
http://www.2carpros.com/articles/service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

Have the computer scanned for code/s-you have a problem within the engine management system that caused the CEL to turn on-This is your starting point of diagnosis,finding out what's going on.

Sunday, August 21st, 2011 AT 9:13 PM
SATURNTECH9

First thing you need to do is go to a auto parts store and have them scan it for codes. Then let me know what the exact code numbers are. Also if the ac still works.

Sunday, August 21st, 2011 AT 9:15 PM
RICKS2002

What's weird no codes. The only time it seems that the AC doesn't work is if you leave it on turn off the car they turn the car back on sometimes the AC won't turn on however if you turn the AC off before turning off the car then turn on the car then the AC no issues.
Any thoughts

Sunday, August 21st, 2011 AT 11:40 PM
SATURNTECH9

Do you have auto climate control?Or is it manual?If your getting a check engine light with no codes then they probably used a basic code reader that only reads engine and transmission codes. Not body control module air bag hvac codes etc. So you probably have codes set in another computer.

Monday, August 22nd, 2011 AT 1:45 AM
RICKS2002

Manual auto climate

Monday, August 22nd, 2011 AT 2:35 AM
SATURNTECH9

So you dial in the temp you want on the display?

Monday, August 22nd, 2011 AT 2:39 AM
RICKS2002

Its not digital just a dial with the red/blue and you move it to the temperature you want. No digital reading, the basic manual ac system

Monday, August 22nd, 2011 AT 4:06 PM
SATURNTECH9

Alright you threw me off when you said it was a manual auto climate control. When the ac shuts off while driving is the car running too hot or overheating?Are the electric fans working like they should?Also I would clean all the fins on the radiator and ac condensor of all the debris that might be trapped in them. After that will be checking the high and low ac pressures.

Monday, August 22nd, 2011 AT 4:18 PM