CAN REMOVING THE GEARBOX FROM OPEL ASTRA G 2002 MODEL CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE CROWN WHEEL BEARINGS?

• nouxoid
  • 2002 Opel Astra

My opel made a "release bearing" noise when I release the clutch, a type of grinding noise. Took it to repair place, was charged R5100 (around 660 USD, I'm in south africa), because the release bearing, clutch and pressure plate was replaced. After the parts were in they took it for a test drive, and in not even 15 meters (less than a mile, around.009 miles) something broke that made a whole in the sump, they thought it was the gearbox, but it turned out that it was a crown wheel bearing that collapsed, based on further investigation, after removing and stripping gearbox (for which I was charged aswell).
Repairs was done, mechanic said its not their fault. I don't know a lot about car workings in general, but would really really appreciate some advise or comments to clear things up. Was it their fault or could it just have happened anyway, a technical specialist was called in who said the gearbox is in perfect condition.

Currently I'm being charged an additional R5700 (around 799usd) for the replacement of crown wheel bearings.

Please any input greatly appreciated.
Arno.

Monday, October 31st, 2011 AT 6:19 PM

• mhpautos

Unfortunately these things can just be a coincidence, there is nothing that could have gone wrong with the installation of the clutch that would cause the bearing to fail so soon, I do feel that it was going to happen regardless of what was done, with out actually seeing all the damage first hand, this is the best explanation I can offer now.

Monday, October 31st, 2011 AT 9:21 PM
  • fixitmr

Crown wheel means "ring gear" and pinion which part of differential drive. On rear wheel drive cars this seperate from transmission. On front wheel drive it is intergrated into transmission. However, just changing clutch and it's parts d should not effect the differential. Unless they forgot to put fluid back in if it was drained during change.

Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 AT 4:33 AM
  • nouxoid

Orite, thanks very much for your response. I forgot to add that the car still has the very same grinding noise when releasing the clutch, is this supposed to be the case, or could something else be the problem.

Thank you
Arno.

Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 AT 5:14 AM
  • nouxoid

Thank-you for the response, a friend of mine mentioned that it could be that they forgot the fluid. It is just very peculiar that it would break just after the car was worked on. Plus the sound with the release bearing that is still there also boggles my mind a bit.

The pics is that of my damaged sump and crown wheel.

Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 AT 5:42 AM
  • mhpautos

Even with no oil it would not fail that quick if the distance you mentioned is correct, there should be no thrust bearing noise at all, the pic you mentioned has not loaded up, I can't see it.

Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 AT 6:49 AM
  • nouxoid

Thanks for all the input guys, really much appreciated, helps a lot.

Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 AT 8:24 AM
  • fixitmr

Get those pics uploaded again. Make sure they are in the right format and size.

Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 AT 9:05 PM
  • fixitmr

Does the grinding noise happen even if the trans is in neutral? Is it constant while car is running?

Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011 AT 5:55 AM
  • nouxoid

Pics are in jpeg format, problem could be that I'm uploading with my HTC flyer, but anyways I tried again with a different browser so hoping it works.

The grinding noise is definitely there while car is idling in neutral, I can even feel the vibration on my foot while its on the clutch. Mechanic said that the previous release bearing and clutch were warn, but even after putting in new parts the noise remains. Could it be the flywheel? I'm just guessing, because it can only come from something that was not replaced, right?

Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011 AT 6:41 AM
  • fixitmr

Seems strange that 59000 miles and carrier bearings go out? And why the mechanic has no clue as to what it is/could be? Does it go away when you hold clutch to floor in neutral?

Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011 AT 9:12 AM