2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 1

JIMKES
  • 2002 NISSAN SENTRA
2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 1.8 liter motor. P0335 code. Runs a little rough at an idle when in gear. No check engine light. Hesitates when I step on the gas pedal. Runs fine when cruising at steady speed but stumbles when you step on the gas.
I replaced the crank shaft position sensor. Cleared codes but P0335 immediately cam back. Did a continuity test on the wires from the position switch to the ECU and it was good.
I replaced the ECU and cleared codes again but P0335 cam back again right away. I'm not sure where to go from hear.
Saturday, March 23rd, 2013 AT 9:34 PM

ASEMASTER6371
Component Description
The crankshaft position sensor (POS) is located on the cylinder block rear housing facing the gear teeth (cogs) of the signal plate at the end of the crankshaft. It detects the fluctuation of the engine revolution.

The sensor consists of a permanent magnet and hall IC.

When the engine is running, the high and low parts of the teeth cause the gap with the sensor to change.

The changing gap causes the magnetic field near the sensor to change.

Due to the changing magnetic field, the voltage from the sensor changes.

The ECM receives the voltage signal and detects the fluctuation of the engine revolution.

On Board Diagnosis Logic

DTC Confirmation Procedure

NOTE: If "DTC Confirmation Procedure" has been previously conducted, always turn ignition switch "OFF" and wait at least 10 seconds before conducting the next test.

TESTING CONDITION: Before performing the following procedure, confirm that the battery voltage is more than 10.5V and the ignition switch is "ON".

WITH CONSULT-II

1. Turn ignition switch "ON" and select "DATA MONITOR" mode with CONSULT-II.
2. Crank engine for at least 2 seconds and run it for at least 5 seconds at idle speed.
3. If 1st trip DTC is detected, go to "Diagnostic Procedure" below.

Codes never identify bad parts, just fialed systems.

Did you use a factory sensor?

-1
Saturday, March 23rd, 2013 AT 9:44 PM
JIMKES
I took the car into Nissan and had them put the factory sensor in. They told me it was not responding and that it was probably the ECU. I bought a new ECU and it didn't fix the problem.
I had a reputable mechanic install the ECU for me after they checked wire continuity. I'm not sure what computer they used to program the ECU. I assume it was a consult II. If the sensor is good and the ECU is good then what else would cause the problem?
Sunday, March 24th, 2013 AT 12:51 PM
ASEMASTER6371
Ok, assuming all the wiring is good, it could be the wheel that the crank sensor is running around or the gap itself.

Hard to say being as I am here and not there. I always like to look at things myself and I dont take the word of anyone working on it as I am the one now responsible for fixing it.

Sunday, March 24th, 2013 AT 12:56 PM
JIMKES
How would I check the wheel and where is it located? How do I check the gap? The engine rust like its out of time or retarded slightly.
Sunday, March 24th, 2013 AT 5:05 PM
ASEMASTER6371
It is behind the crank gear. The front of the motor would have to be dis assembled to access.

-1
Sunday, March 24th, 2013 AT 5:07 PM
JIMKES
The engine runs like its out of time ( sorry)
Sunday, March 24th, 2013 AT 5:07 PM
JIMKES
Could it be that the timing chain has stretched? Have you ever heard of that happening?
Sunday, March 24th, 2013 AT 5:12 PM
ASEMASTER6371
Yes, I have and with 180,000 it very well could be part of the issue. Replacing it will be expensive but if it is in good condition, it would be worth it in the long run.

Sunday, March 24th, 2013 AT 5:15 PM
JIMKES
I will check to see if the timing marks are lining up.
Sunday, March 24th, 2013 AT 5:25 PM
JIMKES
I took valve cover off and rotated the crank to TDC. I checked where timing marks are and they looked OK. Through some new pugs in while I was at it. Put it back together and went to start it. It stared briefly and then died. Now it wont start. All I did is rotate the motor to TDC. What do you think happened?
Sunday, March 24th, 2013 AT 8:51 PM
ASEMASTER6371
Did you do a compression test?

Sunday, March 24th, 2013 AT 8:55 PM
JIMKES
Yes All cylinders seem low but how could I have don that? All I did was rotate the crank to TDC to see where the timing marks were on the cams. Feeling sick right about now.
Sunday, March 24th, 2013 AT 9:00 PM
JIMKES
Do you have any idea what possibly could have happened?
Sunday, March 24th, 2013 AT 9:58 PM
JIMKES
All cylinders are between 120 - 125 PSI
Sunday, March 24th, 2013 AT 10:37 PM
ASEMASTER6371
Thats not bad. Sounds like you have your timing right

check spark at the plugs cranking

+1
Sunday, March 24th, 2013 AT 10:40 PM