THE LEFT REAR BRAKE CALIPER IS VERY LOOSE AGAINST THE PADS?

2002 Nissan Maxima

sethmaxima

October, 13, 2012 AT 9:31 PM

Pads are only half worn. Is the self adjuster not working properly? The caliper actuates and stops the wheel, but the pedal fades and the emergency brake will not close far enough to hold the wheel. The caliper piston retracts all the way when the pedal is released. If the piston was cranked in too far the last time the pads were replaced, would that make the adjuster not work?

Caliper

October, 13, 2012 AT 9:36 PM

No, but the inside worm may not be working. You may have to replace the caliper.

October, 13, 2012 AT 10:10 PM

Check the handbrake cables. If it is seized or adjusted too tight, the auto adjustment is not going to work. Release the tension of the handbrake cable and pump the brakes a few times and retest. If the piston now comes out, readjust the cable till there is a slight free play and you are done.

sethmaxima

October, 13, 2012 AT 11:09 PM

Thanks for the replies. The handbrake cable is ok so I guess its replace the caliper.

October, 13, 2012 AT 11:13 PM

If the piston is moving in and out correctly, I don't think the caliper is the problem. Have you loosensed the cable tension and tried pumping the pedal to activate the auto adjuster? One more thing to check would be the slider bolts, ensure they are moving freely.

Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Brake Pads/Rotor Replacement Chevy Silverado
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Acura TL
Front Pad-Rotor Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear