THE LEFT REAR BRAKE CALIPER IS VERY LOOSE AGAINST THE PADS?

• sethmaxima
  • 2002 Nissan Maxima

Pads are only half worn. Is the self adjuster not working properly? The caliper actuates and stops the wheel, but the pedal fades and the emergency brake will not close far enough to hold the wheel. The caliper piston retracts all the way when the pedal is released. If the piston was cranked in too far the last time the pads were replaced, would that make the adjuster not work?

Saturday, October 13th, 2012 AT 9:31 PM

• ASEMaster6371

No, but the inside worm may not be working. You may have to replace the caliper.

Saturday, October 13th, 2012 AT 9:36 PM
  • KHLow2008

Check the handbrake cables. If it is seized or adjusted too tight, the auto adjustment is not going to work. Release the tension of the handbrake cable and pump the brakes a few times and retest. If the piston now comes out, readjust the cable till there is a slight free play and you are done.

Saturday, October 13th, 2012 AT 10:10 PM
  • sethmaxima

Thanks for the replies. The handbrake cable is ok so I guess its replace the caliper.

Saturday, October 13th, 2012 AT 11:09 PM
  • KHLow2008

If the piston is moving in and out correctly, I don't think the caliper is the problem. Have you loosensed the cable tension and tried pumping the pedal to activate the auto adjuster? One more thing to check would be the slider bolts, ensure they are moving freely.

Saturday, October 13th, 2012 AT 11:13 PM