IT WON'T START AFTER BEING DRIVEN?

• party22lexboy2002
  • 2002 Mitsubishi Galant

I have a 2002 Mitsubishi Galant 2.4L 4cyl with 107000 miles and it won't start after being driven (engine hot). What could this be? After I drive the car, park it and turn it off-it won't start back up! It just keeps tryin (engine turning and turning and turning) but won't start. It has been doing this for a couple months. Back then (a couple months ago) it would start up again if u just gave it a couple hours, BUT now, it takes it 4 or 5 hours. And sometimes longer, before it will start again.

Monday, April 23rd, 2012 AT 4:57 PM

• fixitmr

Check for fuel and spark.

Monday, April 23rd, 2012 AT 5:02 PM
  • fixitmr

Maybe it's flooding? Have you tried holding gas pedal to floor? Check plugs to see if they get wet.

Monday, April 23rd, 2012 AT 5:08 PM
  • fixitmr

Also suspect is crank sensor.

Monday, April 23rd, 2012 AT 5:15 PM
  • party22lexboy2002

I should have added more info in my original question, sorry about that. When the problem first started happening a couple months ago, there was also a strong oil scent inside the car. The valve cover gasket was bad-allowing a tiny bit of oil to seep out around the valve cover AND 2 of my 4 spark plugs were completely fouled with oil. I replaced the valve cover gasket (it no longer leaks) and cleaned the plugs with brake cleaner since they were only a month old. Is this okay? Should I have replaced the plugs anyway?

Monday, April 23rd, 2012 AT 5:21 PM
  • fixitmr

You mean the tips were fouled or the body of pug was oily?

Monday, April 23rd, 2012 AT 6:54 PM
  • party22lexboy2002

Well, the body of the plugs was DEFINATELY covered in oil. But, there was some on the tip. However, I think that is the result of the oil dripping down from the body of the plug when I took them out of the engine, because I took them out again to check and there was no oil on the tips.

Monday, April 23rd, 2012 AT 7:10 PM
  • fixitmr

Have you checked fuel delivery and spark quality?

Monday, April 23rd, 2012 AT 7:53 PM
  • party22lexboy2002

No, I have not. I will level with you, haha, I have NO idea how to do either one of those! How do u check fuel delivery and spark quality?

Monday, April 23rd, 2012 AT 11:11 PM
  • fixitmr

Check our DIY section of site.

Monday, April 23rd, 2012 AT 11:15 PM