IT WON'T START AFTER BEING DRIVEN?

2002 Mitsubishi Galant

party22lexboy2002

April, 23, 2012 AT 4:57 PM

I have a 2002 Mitsubishi Galant 2.4L 4cyl with 107000 miles and it won't start after being driven (engine hot). What could this be? After I drive the car, park it and turn it off-it won't start back up! It just keeps tryin (engine turning and turning and turning) but won't start. It has been doing this for a couple months. Back then (a couple months ago) it would start up again if u just gave it a couple hours, BUT now, it takes it 4 or 5 hours. And sometimes longer, before it will start again.

fixitmr

April, 23, 2012 AT 5:02 PM

Check for fuel and spark.

fixitmr

April, 23, 2012 AT 5:08 PM

Maybe it's flooding? Have you tried holding gas pedal to floor? Check plugs to see if they get wet.

fixitmr

April, 23, 2012 AT 5:15 PM

Also suspect is crank sensor.

party22lexboy2002

April, 23, 2012 AT 5:21 PM

I should have added more info in my original question, sorry about that. When the problem first started happening a couple months ago, there was also a strong oil scent inside the car. The valve cover gasket was bad-allowing a tiny bit of oil to seep out around the valve cover AND 2 of my 4 spark plugs were completely fouled with oil. I replaced the valve cover gasket (it no longer leaks) and cleaned the plugs with brake cleaner since they were only a month old. Is this okay? Should I have replaced the plugs anyway?

fixitmr

April, 23, 2012 AT 6:54 PM

You mean the tips were fouled or the body of pug was oily?

party22lexboy2002

April, 23, 2012 AT 7:10 PM

Well, the body of the plugs was DEFINATELY covered in oil. But, there was some on the tip. However, I think that is the result of the oil dripping down from the body of the plug when I took them out of the engine, because I took them out again to check and there was no oil on the tips.

fixitmr

April, 23, 2012 AT 7:53 PM

Have you checked fuel delivery and spark quality?

party22lexboy2002

April, 23, 2012 AT 11:11 PM

No, I have not. I will level with you, haha, I have NO idea how to do either one of those! How do u check fuel delivery and spark quality?

fixitmr

April, 23, 2012 AT 11:15 PM

Check our DIY section of site.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang