Squeaking when put on gear and when idling or near to stop occasioanlly

ELIKMA
  • 2002 MAZDA PROTEGE
  • 100 MILES
Starting OK and no sound while idling after start. High pitch squeaking noise coming from the hood after I put it on gear and also when it slow down or near to stop while driving/idling. Replaced serpentine belt, squeaking gone for few days but come back later and getting worse. It seems it's OK after I drive a while and when engine is hot. It's worse in mornings or after a long time parking. Thanks.
Tuesday, September 20th, 2011 AT 1:30 AM

I need you to try something. When it is making the noise, take a small cup of water and pour it on the serp belt. See if the sound changes or stops for a short amount of time. Make sure you protect your eyes and have old cloths on. It will spray water back at you. If it changes, the belt tensionier may be getting weak or the pullys could be glazed.

Let me know what you find.
Tuesday, September 20th, 2011 AT 1:52 AM
I wanted to add one other thought. Keep in mind, when you first start the engine in the AM, the alternator has the most load on it for the day. If the adjuster is weak, that added pressure could be causing the noise.
Tuesday, September 20th, 2011 AT 1:53 AM
ELIKMA
Thanks for your reply. I poured some water after I heard noise this morning and noise was gone for few seconds. I did it few times and squeaking sound was OK for a while. This usually does not happen after I drive for a while if I stop/start my car, and happens only on low RPMs or near to stop or waiting at the traffic lights. A mechanic last week said it was belt tensioner, after I chnaged the belt, and after mechanic adjusted tension (tensioner?) It was OK for few days. Thanks
+1
Tuesday, September 20th, 2011 AT 1:32 PM
I think either you have a weak belt tensionier or the pullies are glazed.
Tuesday, September 20th, 2011 AT 6:20 PM
ELIKMA
I took my car to another mechanic and they tightened belt pensioner, both of them. It was OK after initial tests but real test will be following AMs and after long parking. Thanks
Tuesday, September 20th, 2011 AT 7:56 PM
Remember that a new belt can stretch and need readjusted at first. However, that should stop. My guess is that what happened.

Let me know the outcome.
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 1:43 AM
KELSINORRIS
I am having the exact same problem, but I have checked the pulleys for roughness or play and all of the pulleys seem fine. Could it just be that the belts need to be extra tightened?
Sunday, January 20th, 2013 AT 11:14 AM
It could be a belt issue. Make sure the belt isn't glazed or loose.
Sunday, January 20th, 2013 AT 6:37 PM
KELSINORRIS
The belts are brand new and I tightened the belts
Sunday, January 20th, 2013 AT 10:58 PM
Check tension. You should have about 3/4 of an inch play in the belt.
Monday, January 21st, 2013 AT 4:05 AM